Chapter 29- The Final Battle

Começar do início

"It's alright." Kiyoshi spread his arm and gestured at the green hills. "Go play. Go on."

The new group was somewhat stiff at first, but soon enough they forgot about being well behaved and went on playing, just being normal children. Loud cheers, happy chatter, and even some relived crying spread through the adult group of former slaves. A few of the grown men and women even got in on the game of tag with the kids. Who could blame them? When you live your whole live in a cage, it's the best feeling to stretch your legs and laugh as loudly as you can.

Kiyoshi just stood and watched them all with a smile on his face. Fuyuko approached him with her arms crossed and stared out at them for a few moments before she spoke.

"This is what you want?" she asked.

He nodded. "This is exactly what I want the whole of demon world to look like."

She didn't answer him, simply studied his face for a minute before turning back to the happy scene wordlessly. The game continued for a few more minutes before he got us moving again.

"Alright. Come on." Kiyoshi yelled and waved his arm forward. "You want to make it home in time for dinner, don't you?"

The group gathered back into a loose formation, still loud and as cheerful as ever, and we began to move forward again.

Mitsuo rubbed his hands together. "I can't wait. I'm starving."

"You're going to feed all these people?" I asked.

Kiyoshi nodded. "Of course. The first night I bring new people is always a big celebration, loads of hotpot for anyone who wants any. The next day is mostly finding living situations and jobs for everyone." He sighed. "So much work."

"And so much paperwork," Mitsuo said.

"Mitsuo, I think I might just put you in charge of looking over all my important documents and stamping everything in my stead. What do you think?"

He shrugged. "I think I'll stamp everything without looking at it."

The fox grumbled. "You would, wouldn't you?"

Mitsuo just grinned in reply.

"How very lucky of you to be the younger brother."

We crossed over the final hill. Laid out before us was a grassy field that swept out to the edge of the thick and tall deciduous woods. I could see them then, those white flowers that looked like lilies, peaking their way out of the tree line. A few of them dotted all the way out to the field, into the furthest stretches of the tree shadow created by the late afternoon sun. It really was a beautiful day, warm with a slight breeze.

"Almost there now." Kiyoshi started down the hill.

"I can't wait to see Roka," Mitsuo said with a smile. "I bet he'll be waiting by the gate. He always-"

Kiyoshi put his hand up, cutting him off. He put his head up and sniffed the air deeply while his eyes and ears darted all around. "They would dare challenge me on my own territory."

"Who?" Mitsuo asked.

"An ogre," Kiyoshi growled deeply.

"No way." Mitsuo's eyes widened. "Not here."

"Fuyuko! Takahiko!" Kiyoshi yelled over the crowd.

The two came running to his side.

"Fuyuko and Mitsuo, take these people as quickly as you can to the city. Takahiko, I need you to fly ahead, round up some fighters and come back here. Be quick."