52. Angelina Jolie

I really don't (relax). I'm one of those people. It drives me nuts when people tell me to relax. I think a lot of moms don't really rest. And somehow we find a real pleasure in that. I mean, even if I try to take a bath, I'll end up with at least two of my kids in there with me, which is lovely. I wouldn't trade it at all.

It’s hard to be clear about who you are when you are carrying around a bunch of baggage from the past. I’ve learned to let go and move more quickly into the next place.

I grew up as this very carefree, happy kid then things turned darker for me. Maybe it was because I saw that the world wasn’t as happy a place as I had hoped it would be for me.

We have a choice about how we take what happens to us in our life and whether or not we allow it to turn us. We can become consumed by hate and darkness, or we’re able to regain our humanity somehow, or come to terms with things and learn something about ourselves.

I don’t believe in guilt; I believe in living on impulse as long as you never intentionally hurt another person. And don’t judge people in your life.

What nourishes me also destroys me.

If you live life and walk around thinking of yourself and your own needs and desires then not only is it a selfish life, but it ends up being quite an unhappy life, I imagine. And that's where everything goes wrong. The wars and hostility, the ugliness and inhumanity in this world comes from this lack of being able to have real empathy for someone else. If you can value others, I think things naturally balance out in your own life. When you don't live with ignorant perceptions and that smallness, you open up in a beautiful way.

I don't want to stop being free. And I won't.

I don't think about beauty. I wake up and I want to be a smarter person. I'm encouraging my girls that if they can make their inside and who they are really, really stunning then everything falls together.

Figure out who you are, separate from your family and the man or woman you're in a relationship with. Find who you are in this world and what you need to feel good alone. Find a sense of self because with that, you can do anything else.

All women do have a different sense of sexuality, or sense of fun, or sense of like what's sexy or cool or tough.

If I make a fool of myself, who cares? I'm not frightened by anyone's perception of me.

If you ask people what they’ve always wanted to do, most people haven’t done it. That breaks my heart.

People have two sides, a good side and a bad side, a past, a future. We must embrace both in someone we love.

Nothing would mean anything if I didn’t life a life of use to others.

We have to just jump forward, mean well, commit and just see what happens.

I’ve never lived my life in the opinion of others. I believe I’m a good person. I believe I’m a good mom. But that’s for my kids to decide, not for the world.

I never felt settled or calm. You can’t really commit to life when you feel that.

I don’t walk away from it when something unfolds.

People say that you’re going the wrong way when it’s simply a way of your own.

It’s better to have nobody, than to have someone who is half there, or doesn’t want to be there.

I have so much in my life. I want to be of value to the world.

The truth is I love being alive. And I love feeling free. So if I can’t have those things then I feel like a caged animal and I‘d rather not be in cage.  I’d rather be dead. And its real simple. And I think it’s not that uncommon.