Chapter Six: First Arrival

As we entered the dining hall area I couldn't help myself but to look around for Dustin. He sat way in the back corner and when our eyes met he gave me a really dark glare. I didn't want to look away too quickly so that he'd think of me a coward, but if I stare him in the eyes too long it might piss him off more and I don't think I can handle a second go with him. Luckily my friends got my attention before I could decide how to play it.

"Don't let him get to you, Tyrian. I mean you did right by avoiding a serious fight with him earlier. I mean I wouldn't even go up against him," Lana said.

Noxos mostly agreed with her but said if I wanted he'd kick Dustin's ass for me in revenge. To which I asserted that that was unnecessary and told him not to do something stupid. I doubt anyone but Captain and Master could go up against Dustin. Which makes him a good asset to the guild and our enemies call him "The Demon of Distruction", which is a fitting name if you ask me.

Lillyana rest her hand on my arm bringing me out of my thoughts again and I sighed. She nodded and said she agreed with Lana's statement, but also said that if he ever tries that again I shouldn't feel ashamed in asking others for help. To which everyone at the table agreed with.

"Asking for help isn't a sign of weekness or an act of cowardess, it's an act of strength in knowing your limits," Diana said. Hadn't Master said something similar about knowing when you've lost?

I don't get it though, how can you improve yourself if you never test your limits? If your friends are at stake how can you give up a fight without giving everything you can to slow or stop them? Then again what good would dying do if the outcome ends the same? Words from my past hit me just as my thoughts ended.

'You have to choose your opponents wisely and should your apponent out match you then outnumber him,' Shay said.

Shay was the reason I managed to learn so much about fighting. I met him a year back and he gave me a lot of advice I took to heart. He wasn't a magic user, but he was a serious weapons and fighting nerd, for lack of a better word - Somewhat of a weapons collecter slash fighting enthusiast.

A few months ago he had aquired a rare magical sword and was murdered for it. We don't know, still, who did it, but someone may have received the sword from Shay before he died so at least it's safe. He knew they were after it and trusted me with it's safety. I never told a single soul about any of this and don't plan to. Not even Naxos knows of this and that's the way it'll stay.

Basically when Lillyana and Oliver asked me about improving my fighting skills without training, I sort of did have some training. I still surprised myself on how I had applied it in actual combat. Shay and I never sparred, but he had a lot of usful insight on fighting techniques and styles.

"Earth to Tyrian," Lillyana said and bumped me with her elbow. "Where'd you go?" She added when I looked over at her.

"Nowhere, sorry. I guess I just spaced out a little that's all," I said and laughed it off. "Anyways, you guys may have heard, but Captain approved of some friends of mine to come help us out with the evacuation process. I didn't tell them anything yet so if you guys could help me out when they get here that would be a big help," I said diverting the conversation.

"Really? You got the Captain to agree to outside help on the matter? I'm impressed you had the balls to even ask," Oliver said.

"Yeah well it's only for protection while the rest of our guild is in battle. I didn't think asking him to take some of our people out of the fight would be smart, plus a few of them have abilities that would help with our plan. Which reminds me, what do you guys know about the tunnels under the town?" I asked.

"Not much, only that a lot of them have collapsed and were blocked off. Oh and that they run through most of the city," Mara said. I nodded. So no one else has any more insight than I do.