Chapter Thirty-Four: Memory? (Tyrian's P.O.V.)

While we were fighting I thought for sure one of his Ice spears was definitely going to hit me, but it seemed to change it's trajectory by a hair and missed me at the last second. I wonder if he changed the course of it when he realized it might hit me. Not that I think he'd admit it if he had done that.

'Why had that other Guild Master made us continue long after the 20 minutes were up? Where did that man go anyway?' I wondered to myself as I chugged the water Master gave me.

"Tyrian, something weird happened during our fight. I - It's like something pushed my spell away from you. I don't know what it was but I could feel my spell veer slightly just before it hit you," Oliver mumbled once Master walked away.

"Yeah, I noticed that too. I had just assumed you were the one who did it. If it wasn't you then what was it? Couldn't have been Captain or that man, I would have sensed their powers. I honestly don't have any answers, but I do think Captain is keeping something from me so maybe he knows," I replied.

"I know this is important, but maybe when the fighting is over we can all sit down and talk to Captain together. For now if he is keeping something from you then he must have a reason for it," he said. I just nodded in response.

I've gone over what my mother said in her last moments over and over and I think I have a pretty good idea of what she meant. Could that be what Captain is also hiding from me, or was it something else?

That story he told me about a fight between a dark guild and us and many people dying, sounded so familiar to me and I still can't figure out why. Were my parents involved in that fight as well? Did I over hear them talking about it at some point? Or was I there during that fight too?

I just don't know the answers and I plan to ask Captain about it eventually, but for now I'd better stay focused. If I get distracted worrying about that right now, I won't be able to protect anyone in the present. I waited 8 years to find answers, what's a few more days or weeks?

He called off break time and I squared of with Diana. She was an enhancer like Master, but her ability works on her senses rather than her body. Not to say she doesn't make up for that with her stamina and training. This might be another difficult match, but I won't stop now. I've come this far, I have to see it through. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself and took a defensive stance. I felt the instant she called her powers and tightened my grip on the wooden sword Master had handed me.

I have to be careful here. She can see and hear the slightest of movements. There was no sense in hiding and waiting for an opening, because she could literally sniff me out. Out of everyone here I'd have to say she is the most formidable. It's why even though she's the same age as me she's second in command of the Stealth and Tracking Teams.

"Don't think I will go easy on you because you're a friend, Tyrian," She said from behind me. So fast. I was lost in thought for a second and she didn't waste a single step. I managed to dodge her kick and put more distance between us. "Not bad, but you could've attacked me back," She added as we squared off again.

"We both know you would have easily dodged it and countered back," I replied.

"You never know unless you try. In a one on one fight that may be a good strategy, but with more than one opponent keeping your distance like that could leave an opening for someone else. This is going to be a war, Tyrian. You can't expect back up all the time and you can't expect it to be a one on one fight either. If you can't handle fighting with a single person you might as well give up on your idea of fighting with us," she lectured and as she was talking I made a move. Of course she easily dodged it and I sighed.

She did have a point though if I'm barely managing with each of them how will I be able to fight more than one opponent?

"If you ever find yourself against more than one opponent, then use that to your advantage. Use their calculated attacks against them and they'll fall apart and leave you openings," A man said to me. I couldn't clearly recall his face, but it definitely wasn't Shay. Was it an older memory. Who was that man?

My head started to hurt and I held out my hand for Diana to stop, just before I dropped the wooden sword. After that I'm not sure what happened. Did I black out? What just happened?

"Tyrian, hey, what happened? Are you alright?" Captain said and I opened my eyes and sat up. Shit I did pass out I guess.

"I - I really don't know. My head is killing me," I mumbled and Lana came over to have a look.

"I can't find anything physical, it's possible it could be something mental," she said, "Did something happen while you were fighting?" she asked.

"I - I don't know, I can't remember," I lied. Something told me not to worry Captain about this right now. Plus if I tell him he might just stop my training. Though it is possible he still might for today, after all I just passed out for no apparent reason. Plus, I don't even really understand what just happened myself.

"I'm fine now. Sorry to worry you all, I'd actually like to get back to fighting Diana now," I added after an awkward moment of them all just staring at me or looking at each other confused. I got up. That part was true, my headache was starting to lighten up and I didn't want to waist any more time. How long was I even out? A few Seconds? Minutes? Hours?

"There isn't anything wrong with him physically, so I can't stop him if that's what he wants to do. However, if this ever happens again or you figure out what caused it, please inform me right away," Lana said and added, "People don't just pass out for no reason, there might be something I can't see."

"I understand, Lana. Thanks," I replied then motioned for Diana to take her place again. We squared off and I wondered. That advice I remembered, perhaps I could use that against a single opponent too. Captain restarted the 20 minute timer so we could get back into rhythm and so it won't end just as soon as we start.

I waited for her to make a move and when she finally did she was behind me in a flash. Not letting it get to me I easily blocked her attack and even shot my foot out to hit her back. She easily dodged it of course. We went back and forth for a while and then she made a big move against me and I dodged her. Using her momentum I kicked her in her back causing her to hit s tree kind of hard. She of course recovered pretty quick, but I already had my wooden sword aimed at her.

"That was pretty impressive, Tyrian, you even have a few minutes to spare," Diana said and I backed away from her.

"Sorry about that, I didn't realize we had made it to the tree line while we were fighting. You should have Lana heal you. You're head is bleeding a little," I said and she sighed saying she'll be okay and wiped the blood from her face.