Chapter Nine: He Can't

The art work above does not belong to me, credit to the artist!

"How?" Uraraka asks while her voice wavers.

"Because I'm not gonna let anything happen to you or me." Bakugou looks down at her and smiles sweetly. "We should go to sleep soon Round-Face."

"Okay," Uraraka says disappointedly. "Can we just stay like this for a couple more minutes?"

"Sure Angel-Face." Her eyes close and she moves her head to rest on his chest. Bakugou stares at her for several minutes before shutting his eyes and resting his head on hers. They fall asleep to the sound of each other heartbeats, drowning out the thunderstorm above.

Uraraka wakes first.

"Bakugou?" she says as she rubs her eyes and looks to him. He's sound asleep and drooling a bit. Uraraka giggles and decides to try to get up without waking him. She carefully maneuvers out of his arms and floats out of the living room. As soon as she lands in the kitchen she gets a glass of water and sits on a stool. A million thoughts go through her head as she processes the recent events. "Okay, okay," she says as she tries to compose herself. "I am in a boy's house. I am in Bakugou Katsuki's house. We had some weird moment at the fireplace and then 'slept' together. There's a tropical storm going on and a tsunami. Most likely caused by villains. And my parents don't know where I am, or if I'm safe." She slaps her hands over her eyes and rests her head on the table. "Ughhhhhh. What is happening?! Bakugou and I never really talked before this and now he's being so nice to me. And what was with that picture of us he had in his room. He's even stopped cursing... a bit! And WHY AM I MORE PREOCCUPIED WITH BAKUGOU THAN THE POSSIBILITY OF VILLAINS ATTACKING ALL OF JAPAN. UGH!" After a few seconds of self loathing, Uraraka brings her head up quickly. "...I think I actually... really like him." Uraraka cringes at herself when she says this, but brushes it off. "I don't care! Even if we're a stupid cliché, it's a cliché for a reason." Uraraka says, then clamps her hands over her mouth, realizing that Bakugou could have heard her confession. She peeks over and sees Bakugou sleeping, "Whew!" A psychotic smile spreads across her face and she giggles. "Omg what the hell am I doing." After calming down, she decides to make breakfast. Uraraka opens the fridge and to reveal an extremely well stocked supple of meat, fruit, vegetables, and dairy. "Whoa." She takes out eggs and some bacon. As she attempts to cook, she entertains the idea, and real possibility, of Bakugou liking her.

In the other room, Bakugou's eyes pop open once the sounds of Uraraka's cooking begin. He was pretending to be asleep and had heard everything. "She saw the fucking picture! SHIT." Bakugou groans silently at the new found information. "...I never really thought about if I actually liked her or not. I'm attracted to her, pfft, that's a given; whatever that shit at the fireplace was... I can't. There's no way it would work. We both need to focus on becoming heroes; relationship crap will just get in the way. I can't let her distract me... I have to shut it down. Even if I... like her." These thoughts upset Bakugou, because in reality, he just wants to swoop the annoying girl up in his arms and carry her upstairs damsel style. If he was really being honest with himself, he did like her, he liked her quite a lot. He admires her ambition and ability to keep going until she passes out, literally. But his ambition is too strong to let someone get in the way of his goal. As soon as he comes to this conclusion, he hears Uraraka mumble to herself in the kitchen. The sounds of her nonsensical rambles softens his heart, but he hardens his resolve.

"Crap! I should've never tried to cook. Omg this is such a mess." Bakugou smiles at the silly girl but reminds himself he can't anymore. He puts his usual scowl on, gets up, and enters the kitchen.

"Oi Round-Face, what the fuck is this?"

Uraraka winces, and turns around slowly, covered in milk and bacon grease.

"Hah–!" Bakugou stops himself. "–what the hell do you think you're doing?!"

"I–I tried to cook. Like, as a thank you for letting me stay here, but... I failed miserably."

"No shit brainless."

Uraraka looks at him and tries to decipher his words. She doesn't really know what she was expecting; for him to come into the kitchen and be super nice and caring like he had been last night? Maybe, but definitely not this.

"I–I'm sorry, I just wanted to do something nice–"

"Well it didn't fucking work! Jesus you get in everybody's way..." he mumbles as he begins to help her clean up. She stops, and a tear forms in the corner of her eye.

"What?"

"I said that it's no wonder why your parents needed a vacation."

Bakugou looks up and immediately regrets what he had said. He sees the expression on her face, an expression that he never wants to see again. Bakugou realizes that he touched a nerve somewhere deep. She gets up and leaves the kitchen.

"Shit. You went too fucking far Katsuki." He gets up and grabs her wrist. "Urara–"

"Don't! Fucking don't!" Bakugou is startled and lets go. "Do you know what it's like to feel like a burden everywhere you go?! I just wanted to do something nice! I'm a burden to my family! To my teachers! And now to you! I can't believe I almost.... Ugh just leave me alone!"

She goes over to the fireplace and tries to occupy herself by starting a fire. He realizes that she needs her space and goes back into the kitchen to clean up. After he had put all the dishes away, he peaks over and sees her, sleeping on the couch, curled in a little ball. He sighs and walks over to the window. "Still pouring sheets..." This gives him his next thought. He quietly walks through the living room to not wake her, and pears through the window in the front of the house. "HOLY SHIT."

        💛Hey guys💛 Hope you enjoyed the chapter! I feel like things have been a little slow so there's gonna be a lot more happening in the future chapters. Let me know if you have any suggestions. 💕See ya! 💕