Evie Adams vs The Shooting Party

Dinner had been an awkward affair, Carl had still been a little intimidated by me and the fact that, now Dominic had decided to show up there three big, strapping men sat around the table. Facts which I enjoyed a lot. Lexie had outdone herself with a three course meal that left everyone stuffed. That combined with Seth playing footsie with me under the table had treated me to a restless night of lust-filled dreams, with Seth the leading man in all of them.

When I walked into the kitchen and saw him leaning against the counter, my cheeks turned violent pink as the dreams returned to me. I stared at his hands gripping the coffee cup and remembered what he had been doing with those same hands in my mind last night, my pulse picked up and my eyes half closed at the thought.

He moved away from the counter towards me, an enquiring look on his face as he stood in front of me. "What was that look all about?" He reached a hand around my back and pulled me in towards him, his body was warm and another dream from last night reared it's head. "Mmm, there it was again. What are you thinking about when you look like that?" He grinned and tipped his face down to kiss me.

Just as his lips brushed mine he pulled away, Angus walked in from the hallway smiling to himself. When he saw the two of us standing a few feet apart in an awkward silence he raised his eyebrows and shook his head. "You know it's so obvious something's going on between you two." My eyes grew wide as I looked up from my feet, was it really that obvious that I liked him, I didn't even want to admit it to myself.

"Nothing's going on!" I stated at exactly the same time as Seth, we looked at each other and smiled. Seth laughed to himself and rifled through the pantry cupboard looking for something.

"Oh Aye, sure! You can cut the sexual tension with a knife." He kept chuckling to himself as he continued to thrash around the cupboard.

"I said in the cupboard on the left, not the right Angus." Lexie strolled into the kitchen carrying the dirty dishes from breakfast, I hadn't been able to face it after the awkward dinner last night. I'd told Carl I had a few errands to run before I went back to bed for an extra hours sleep; but he didn't need to know that.

"I'll have lunch ready at one o'clock sharp, so don't bring Mr Dennison back later than that." Lexie waved a vegetable knife in her brother's face and went out the back door to collect some ingredients. The boys were taking Carl shooting this morning and I'd decided to tag along. I'd never been shooting before and I thought I ought to be there as the owner of the estate. You know help give a tour of a place I didn't really know.

I'd worn a pair of old jeans, a Barbour coat, scarf flat cap and my new Hunter wellington boots, hoping to look the part. Instead of looking like a Countryfile presenter, I was walking around like some depraved extra from The Archers. Luckily Carl had had the same idea and was sporting a similar idealistic outfit.

We collected a double barrelled shotgun each and headed for the hills with them cocked over the crooks of our arms looking like experts; well almost. We'd come up with the plan to show him all the things visitors could do on the estate, hoping a business plan might come from it. The sun was out and the grounds of the estate looked majestic as we walked to the area we were going to shoot from.

It turned out the estate used to host shooting parties all the time, groups would come from all across the country to shoot at game and all the locals would help. Fortunately they were still willing to help and this led me to the idea maybe we could bring this back, we just needed a plan, a website and a little publicity.

We stationed ourselves ready for the first shot, Seth and a local teenager were taking care of the reloads and empty casings while the rest of us shot. Carl had positioned himself the furthest from me at the other end of our four, using Dominic and Angus as protection against me and my shotgun. Seth handed me the loaded gun, it felt heavy and cold in my hands.