Part 21

Leilani Randall walked gracefully around the hospital bed and stared at the young woman, who was 10 years her junior, in disbelief.  Leilani was not taken back by Natalie's words, she cringed at the tone of her voice; the contempt behind her words.  No one would ever talk to her in such a manner.  Born of Hawaiin royalty and black wealth, she knew her place in society, a hierarchy of infinite academic accomplishments and power.  She kept the look of astonishment on her face as her mind switched between two planes.  Leilani did not want everyone in the room to know how she secretly felt about Natalie.  She allowed the look of innocence to partake her expression while she pardoned disdain deep in her cold heart.  Leilani was a pastor's wife.  The role required feelings of ill-will to be masked by smiles.  It was a role that she played well.

She walked over to the other side of the bed and sat down beside Natalie's legs.  Leilani placed her hand over Natalie's covered knee and stared at her.

"Sir?" Leilani looked up at Carter, "Are you the doctor? I believe she is a little delirious.  The Natalie that I know would have never spoken to me like that.  I think her condition may have gotten worse." Leilani looked up at Carter awaiting an explanation.

"Ma'am...  My name is Detective Robert Carter.  I am not a doctor but I can assure you that Natalie is not delirious.  In this situation, her feelings are warranted."  Carter flashed Leilani a warm smile.

"You've been talking to Joseph this whole damn time! Behind my back.  The two of you have been seeing each other!"  Natalie yelled.

Leeland's eyes were still reddened from crying over the loss of his brother.  He despised Joseph but still loved him.  He had lost his father and his brother in less than a month.  His mind frolicked back and forth, trying to absorb Natalie's words.   Bewildered, he caroused his eyes over to Leilani.  "Leilani?  What is Natalie talking about?  Is there any truth to this?"  Leeland whispered;  his voice now a shadow of its normal self.

"Natalie, why on earth would I do that to you?  Why would I do that to my husband?   Leilani cocked her to the side and gave Natalie a thin smile.

"You are the one he calls 'Sweet Plumeria'. You're the one that was in his phone 10 or 12 times the day he died, the day before and the days before that. You were always there. Smiling in my face while stabbing me in the back. You are the worst type of bitch." Natalie removed her thigh from Leilani's hand and reached up to grab her.

Detective Carter reached over and pinned Natalie's arms to her side. Leilani jumped off the bed and ran over to her husband, grabbing his arm. Leeland stepped away and snatched his arm from her grip.

"Mrs. Randall, I know you are upset but please calm down," Carter said while holding her arms.

Grabbing Leeland's hand again, she looked up at her confused husband "Baby, I would never sleep with Joseph.  I do not know where this is coming from but it needs to stop."  Leilani glanced over at the two detectives.  "If you need any information from me, I am right here to answer all of your questions willingly.  I assure you there was nothing going on with me and Joseph and Natalie knows this but still continues to make a spectacle of herself in public."

"Step outside Mrs. Randall."  Mendez motioned for Leilani outside the hospital room door.

The two women leave out the door.

"Natalie, is this true?"  Leeland's question offered skepticism after Natalie's wild display.  He looked down at her sympathetically.

"Leeland, she is the one Joseph has been speaking to this whole time.  It explains how he knew I was leaving him.  Other than Akoni, Leilani is the only one that I have told."  Natalie eased out of Carter's grip.  She quickly got out of the bed, wrapping her hospital gown around her as she walked over to the chair holding her clothes and shoes.