Chapter 23; It was you All Along

CHAPTER 23

“It was you all along”

The room reeked of blood, copper and candle wax. Valerie was still tied up in the chair as she glares at her persecutor who was holding a knife; the very same knife that killed Olive, Helen and now, probably her. “I never thought the outcome would point to you.” She said, trying to calm herself.

The man smiled as he wipes the knife with a red cloth to sharpen it. “It all made sense,” said Valerie as she looks down the floor. “During the fire at London, you came along and killed Olive. You followed us to Liverpool and informed James of our location. You even slipped him into helping the Mayor! You told him of my therapist! You were there when Faye jammed Helen’s car and help murder her in the hospital! You almost killed Dianne with a chainsaw! You crashed the Vilmincent Flower truck at her and left her engine to make it look like she had an accident because of it!” Valerie spat on him. “And worst; you tricked James into meeting Helda so he would accidentally start an affair with her to ruin our family! You betrayed me, and everyone who trusted you.”

“Oh Valerie,” he says calmly. “I had to do it. You were all in my way and for Helen; I regret what I did to her. Especially when you were saddened deeply. I do like you but it doesn’t mean you’ll get in the way of my plans.”

“Then why?!” yelled Valerie desperately. “Why’d you do this when I, no, we trusted you?”

His smile fell as he approaches her with the knife. “I had my reasons.”

Valerie closes her eyes tightly; awaiting the pain as she mentally curses herself for getting into this situation.

She was still dizzy from the gas Alfred sprayed into the car but the scent of pine woods made her realize she may be in some kind of a base house by the woods. “And what are those reasons?”

The perpetrator looked at her with such hate in his eyes. “It was all for Helen.”

“FOR HELEN?!” Valerie mimicked him. “You insane fuck! You helped Frederick kill her!”

“I had to.” He responded. “Before I kill you, it’s good for you to at least learn of the truth and carry it to your grave.”

“I was poor boy who lost his parents in a fire by the neighborhood of Liverpool. I had no siblings, relatives or anyone who would care to take me in because I claimed that Mayor Dawn the first burned our house.” He turned to look at the blonde introvert. “In which he did.”

“Chris’s grandfather and father was the best Mayor in Liverpool!” Valerie defended from given information.

The butler laughed darkly. “That’s what everyone says. But one night actually he was drunk with a woman in his hands. My father saw the whole thing but refused to say it to anyone yet the mayor lived in fear when he found out. And so he hired an arsonist to burn our house but I survived with my father’s truth engraved in me.”

“I had to get my revenge but I needed a stepping stone. And that’s when Helen came into my life.” The old man smiled. “She took pity upon me and begged the Vilmincent to take me as their family. And they did. But out of shame I decided to vow to Helen’s parents to be a servant instead and to serve and protect their daughter.”

“I had forgotten my revenge as my love for the girl who saved me grew stronger.” Valerie could’ve vomit at that statement. “Every day I would greet her, do her chores and make her afternoon tea. Sometimes come with her to the garden and talk about her problem in a lovesick state with Ditto Rivers.” There was venom in his voice when he said that name.

“Never less; I loved her still but that bastard broke her heart. It pained me to see her cry and so I decided to end that man’s life but she found another one; Victor Grey. He was much older than Helen and was a teacher. She was happy and so was I.”