❀ Chapter ten ❀

It was the next morning and Noelle made sure to get up extra early to shower, do her hair and get her costume and items ready for the presentation. She looked into the mirror that was hanging on the wall her room, seeing a noticeable mark on her neck from Susie the previous day. She felt it with her hands, flinching at a slight pain and discomfort. She knew her shirt couldn't cover it and if she were to wear a scarf indoors, it would look a little strange or suspicious.

She let a sigh out, heading to the bathroom to pull out some makeup. She dabbed some onto the mark and rubbed it in. From first glance, it looked like nothing was there, but if one were to stare and look long enough, they could tell there was a mark there.

And she knew nobody what would casually stare at her neck for that long. Susie might, but nobody else would. She smiled to herself and brushed her teeth and washed her face.

Once she was finished getting ready, she took her handmade costume, crown and cape out of her closet and put it in a plastic bag.

***

Noelle still couldn't believe her and Susie actually made out the previous day! She was truly shocked! Noelle hoped to god that Susie didn't hear her heart beating a mile a minute. She felt her cheeks get a little warm as she walked downstairs and she put her hand over her cheek. "How embarrassing...!" She muttered quietly to her self. She shook the slight blush away and walked into the kitchen to get her breakfast.

Noelle's mother was there, sitting at the kitchen table and drinking her coffee. She was reading the newspaper, the sound of flipping pages could be heard throughout the silent kitchen. Just like the last week, the two of them haven't been talking. And the wait for Noelle's bread to toast was painful and awkward. Noelle was broken out of her trance of her fingers tapping against one another by the sound of paper closing and her mother's voice.

"Noelle?"

Oh crap! Noelle flinched and looked at Carol Holiday, who was looking straight at her daughter. "....Yes mother?" Noelle quietly said. She wasn't sure what her mother was going to say to her. Is she still angry at me?

"Can you sit down here for a moment?" Carol calmly asked. Okay... So maybe she ISN'T mad at me still... She sounds calm and laid back today. The smaller deer thought as she nervously walked to the table, sitting at the wooden chair across from her mother. She rested her hands on her thighs and was quiet, almost as if she was in detention or in the principal's office for something.

Carol seemed to notice her daughter's behaviour and she softly chuckled before taking a sip of her coffee. "Relax Noelle. I'm not mad at you." Noelle let out a small sigh of relief and relaxed herself a bit. "Alright. What do you want?"

"I just wanted to know if you're still a lesbian."

Noelle let out an exaggerated and irritated sigh.  Did you just call me over here to make fun of me? Are you serious, Mother? Noelle thought to herself, standing up. She was just going to pop her toast out early and get the hell out of there because she didn't want her mother to ruin her day from bickering. She turned around and began to walk to the toaster, but she was called back by a stern voice.

"Noelle."

Noelle huffed out and sat back down. "What? I don't want you to m-make fun of me for who I am.. I can't help it, okay?!"

Carol Holiday didn't say anything for a few moments before she took a long sip of her black coffee before shaking her head slightly. "I am not making fun of you."

"Then why--"

Why are you brining this up again?!

Was what Noelle was going to say, but her mother's stern voice cut her off.