❀ Chapter eight ❀

"Mother? I .. am a lesbian, and the girl I like is Susie. I want you to accept that about me, okay?"

Noelle spoke quietly and clearly while her mother listened to her in silence. As Noelle was talking, her mother was stabbing her fork into a piece of penne and lifted it up towards her mouth. She froze up and stared at her daughter without saying a word once the smaller girl had finished talking. Noelle thought her mother's food was going to fall off her fork. Luckily, the food remained stuck to the fork.

Her mother had absolutely no emotion on her face, so Noelle couldn't tell what was going to happen.

Oh no... What's she going to do? Noelle thought out to herself as she waited for her mother to say something back. Her mother placed the fork back down on her plate and opened her mouth. Noelle gulped, terrified for her response. "You're... A lesbian?" She repeated out loud, and Noelle silently nodded as a response.

Mother...I am terrified! Are you okay with this or no?! Noelle couldn't tell if her mother was accepting of her or not.

"And the girl you like is Susie, that delinquent?" Her mother said slowly to her, getting a nod back in response.

Noelle wanted to say to her mother that Susie wasn't as bad as everyone says she is, but she decided to keep shut. She didn't want to anger her mother even more than she already could be.

Noelle hasn't said anything to me about her sexuality before, so I just assumed she could he straight. How was I supposed to know she could have been gay? She's never given me any kind of hint! Noelle's mother thought to herself and grabbed her fork again, putting the penne in her mouth. She wiped her mouth after she swallowed the food and opened it to say something. Noelle leaned forward a bit, eager to hear her response, but her mother shut her mother again. What the heck am I supposed to say back to this?! She thought.

Her mother was at a complete loss of words.

There was a silence between them and Noelle began to tear up a bit. She noticed a few tears fall down her fluffy cheeks and she quickly wiped them away with her checkered sweater with hopes that her mother didn't notice. Luckily for her, Noelle's mother didn't say a word about her daughter's tears. "Mother.. say something back. Please.." She whispered out to her. I don't think I should have said anything. The smaller reindeer thought to herself as she looked down to her thighs. All this silence is giving me bad vibes.

"Noelle..."

Noelle looked up at her mother when she heard her voice.

"You said you're a lesbian, right..?"

"Yes." Noelle said quietly.

"A lesbian is sexually attracted to other girls. You do know that, right?"

"Mother.. I'm dating Susie, who is another girl. I know what a lesbian is. What are you trying to say?" Noelle asked as she began to pick at her food with her fork. This will definitely have a bad outcome. I can't run away from this. I shouldn't have said anything!

"Noelle..." Her mother sighed out, "You know I have a job... Right? I am the mayor of this town."

"Yes, mother. I know you're the mayor. What is it that you're trying to tell me? Please tell me already... I'm terrified.."

"Many monsters in this town do not approve of gay relationships. It makes them uncomfortable. As mayor of this town, I have to keep everyone safe and happy. What would happen if word leaked out that my daughter is a lesbian? Monsters would get upset, and my reputation will diminish rapidly."