Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

He bobbed his head into a nod, as though trying to convince himself that it indeed wasn't his fault. Wiping the stray tears away from his cheeks, he looked down at me. "You should head to bed," he got up slowly, his eyes bloodshot red from weariness and tears.

"You too." I said before he walked up the steps, into his room.

I remained on the couch for a bit, trying my best to think. I had always managed to compartmentalise well but for some reason, my mind was a mess today.

Dragging me out of my own headspace, my phone chimed with a text.

"Please, get some sleep. Everything will work out, eventually. I love you." I read out the message mentally and breathed out a sigh, hoping what Taehyung said was true.

But will it, really? Will things really work out? I felt like darkness embraced me to a point of suffocation. The very thought of getting a little glimpse of light seemed bleak.

『⋅∘➶∘⋅』

"Hey," Nani walked towards me, pulling me into a hug.

"Hi," my lips tugged upwards into a weak smile as I looked at her.

"I'm really sorry for your lost." Was all she could say as she held my hand in comfort. I nod her way, acknowledging what she said and she squeezed my hand lightly.

"Areum, if you want to talk, I'm right here." She tugged onto my arm slightly, eyes burning through me.

"I'll be okay." I assured her but she didn't look too convinced.

But in all honesty, I really would be. As bad as it sounded, I barely knew my mother. The only reason why I was at a low state was because of my father. He still loved her, I couldn't even begin to understand the pain he was going through.

My eyes scanned through the dispersing crowd as I locked my gaze on my father's figure staring at the tombstone with a look of lost. His head hung low, hands stuffed into his pockets as his eyes remained glued to the engraving of my mother's name.

"Hey," a deeper voice called out from behind me.

"I'll get going." Nani said after noticing Taehyung's presence. She gave me one last hug before bidding me goodbye.

"I didn't think you'd come." I say and he followed my gaze, looking over to my father.

"Your father wanted me to be here." He sucked in a breath, puffing up his chest as he stuffed his hands into the pocket of his pants.

"He wanted you to be here for Aera, huh?" I let out, eyes still fixed onto my dad.

"Nope," he exhaled, emptying out his lungs as he looked down at me. My brows furrowed as I looked up at Taehyung with confusion.

"He wanted me to be here for you." The corner of his lip tightened as it raised, a subtle, knowing smile playing on his lips.

"Really?" I questioned, not being able to believe him but as he nods, things start becoming clearer.

"I told you, he really loves you." He said, his arm nudging me slightly and I smile at the thought. I notice Aera walking towards our father right after everyone had expressed their condolences. Her heels sunk a little into the soil of the damp grass as she made her way to our father.

"Aera called me, yesterday." Taehyung said, his eyes now following Aera.

I tilt my head up, looking at him as I waited for him to continue. "She apologised for, well, everything. She said she'll sign the papers and go along with the annulment." His eyes still focused ahead of him.

"Really?" I repeat once more, feeling a spark of hope lighting up in me, almost like I was finally seeing a little light after drowning in the endless darkness of worries and complications.

"Mmhmm," he gave a sharp nod right before looking down at me, his eyes finding mine. "Like I said, everything will work out." 

I took in a deep breath, calming the raging storm that was my mind. The both of us looked before us as the cool breeze rushed by, playing with my long black dress as it made it's presence known. The trees rustled above us, the foliage floating to the ground gracefully with a gust of wind.

I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, contemplating if I should leave or walk over to my father.

"How are you though?" Taehyung spoke out in a soft tone, grasping my attention as he faced me. I could tell he was debating with himself about whether he should ask me that question.

"I don't know." I shrug lightly, "I feel numb." I said and he nodded in response, understanding what I meant almost instantly. "It's fine, I don't want to get into it." I stared at the cemetery, still processing the entire day.

Aera remained next to me father as they stood silently, probably trying to comprehend everything as well. Her being there deterred me from walking up to them.

"I'll get going then," he tapped me lightly, not being able to have me in his arms just yet. "You go to your family." He said but I held onto him, not wanting him to leave.

"Aera hates me," I shook my head, "I'll just go with you." I tried following him but he holds either sides of my waist, stopping me.

The wind ruffling up his hair slightly as he looked down intently at me.

"Trust me, she probably hates herself more at this point." He sighed. "Your family needs you, go to them." He straightened his posture.

"You need them too."