Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

"Barrone?" Kier questioned, then he quickly took a few paces back and drew the crossbow that he was wearing on his back. It was aimed directly at my neck.

"Why the hell is he here?" he snapped at Drew who was taken aback by his actions and could produce words properly. In an attempt calm Kier down and to help the situation I started to crawl out from under the bed. As I moved Kier, who was poised and ready to shoot became more alert.

"Don't," his voice was low and commanding. "Don't even think about coming any closer or I'll shoot you." My movements paused.

"Kier," I said in a whisper. "I'm not going to hurt you or Drew, I came for help." He looked at me in disbelief.

"You managed to escape The Cells and get passed the guards to ask for help?" clearly not trusting a word I said, the he continued. "You could have asked someone instead of escaping." The crossbow was still aimed at my neck, his finger was still poised to release the arrow so I dare not move; instead I answered him quietly.

"You wouldn't have believed what I had to say." Kier was about to reply but Drew had found his voice.

"It's true, mate. You wouldn't have believed it and to be honest with you, his escape only makes the situation more believable. So, can we put the weapon down?"

"No!" Kier exclaimed. "I want to know what's going on, but we don't know what Cy is capable of." He looked at me with sadness in his eyes, "I'm sorry, but I have to know if you're a danger to us or not."

I moved to stand up and Kier watched my wearily, studying my movements.

"I know, and I get why you may not trust me but if you would just listen to me." I looked at Drew and he nodded, showing me that I had his support. "Just listen to us. We'll give you the full story and you can keep your bow on me until we've finished. Then when all is said you can make your decision on how you feel about me."

"Okay, let's hear what you have to say," and that's when I told him exactly what I told Drew.

I told him about the voice and how I thought that it was part of my imagination, then the fact that I heard it again. I went on to explain how I thought that I was hallucinating but then there was a key, a key that looked exactly like the one Rogers kept in her office, a key that I could never get myself. Kier watched me intently as I spoke, he did not comment but nodded at the necessary times.

When I had finished he looked thoughtful, almost as if he were arguing with himself. He stayed like this for a few moments before he opened his mouth and started to talk.

"I-I want to believe you, really I do but this seems a little far out mate. I mean the whole key falling at your feet? Couldn't you just have retrieved it on the way here, because if you managed to get out of The Cells then the Captains office would have been a piece of piss." I sighed and sat on the bed, Drew came and perched himself next to me.

"So, what do we do now then?" My other Timid asked and I looked to Kier for an answer.

"I honestly don't now because I haven't got it in me to shoot you and if I report you who knows what'll happen to you. You're still one of my best mates; I mean we're practically brothers."

"So, I guess we'll just have to figure something out." I mumbled to myself and closed my eyes.

Knock, knock, knock.

My eyes sprang open and my head whipped towards the door. Then I turned to Drew, I didn't know what to do.

"Do I hide?" I whispered.