Alice vs Asuna - chapter 8

A chilled winter evening is what awaited me. I run after Asuna, who won't stop even with me repeating her name and begging her to stop.

"Asuna! Wait, Asuna! Nothing happened between Alice and me! I promise nothing happened! Asuna, just give me a chance to explain!"

She stops mid path down the road. I eventually catch up to her and stand in front of her, panting from running.

I look up, once breathing properly again, to see Asuna with tears rolling down her face.

This is all my fault.

I have to fix this!

"A-Asuna..." I slowly reach out to her but then restrain myself from doing so, remembering she wanted space.

Before any words can leave my mouth, Asuna replaces them with a yell.

"K-Kirito...I-I thought you owed me your life back in SAO!"

My heart falls.

I did owe Asuna my life back in SAO but what does that have to do with any-

I then put two pieces together. It wasn't only an oath I swore by, it was also a declaration of love and also a somewhat wedding proposal.

Asuna continues crying as I helplessly watch her. She looks to the floor as she does so.

I slowly walk up to Asuna and without any hesitation like before, hold her cheek to wipe her tears. As she looks up to me, our eyes meet.

"...K-Kirito..."

"Asuna." I reply.

I continue wiping her tears as I speak to her.

"Asuna, I'd never cheat on you, I love you too much to do that.

She instantly glares slightly at me.

"W-What I'm trying to say is...I love you Asuna."

Asuna sniffles as I caress her cheek.

"Does Alice know that?"

"Huh?"

"That you love ME and only me?"

"She knows that- I made that REALLY clear to her."

Asuna pulls away from my hand and looks at me with disappointed eyes.

"A-Asuna?"

"K-Kirito...you say one thing then you don't mean the other thing you first said!"

I blink in confusion. "W-What's that even mean Asuna? What's wrong?"

She steps back a few steps from where I was and hugs herself.

Oh God no Asuna, stop stepping back from me, I love you, please stop stepping away from me like I'm some kind of enemy of yours.

I look at her with worry and concern as she does so.

"You say you love me, right?"

I blush suddenly. "O-Of course I do!"

"....does Alice know that!?"

Asuna breaks down sobbing again, this time on-

the ground!?

I waste no time in kneeling down beside her to help her up. She refuses my assistance.

How can I fix all this?

I wondered in a panic as I could only watch my girlfriend cry over my mistake.