"Beggin' yer pardon ma'am, but of all the so-called 'Attorney's at Law' around these parts, there's only one I'd put my money on.  He's new in town, came from down south somewheres.  As far as I know, ain't nobody actually used his services though."

   "Why?  Does he charge a lot of money?"

  Shaking his head, the desk clerk replied, "No ma'am.  He just particular about who he represents.  Says some people deserve a bullet more than they do a good representation in the courtroom, and he's given a few of them the bullet himself. He's made few enemies because of it...that and his skill at cards.  They say he's awful slick with them aces."

   "Lilly, it sounds to me like we need to find this fella."

   "Yes, I agree.  What is his name?"

   "Franklin Landry."

  Thanking the man, Zane and Lilly navigated the mud and crowds of people until they arrived in front of the opulent Madame Opal's Gambling Emporium.  Lilly took a breath for herself, knowing that most people were going to frown upon a well-respected lady entering the equivalent of the Devil's sitting room.  Shoulders squared she entered the building.  Zane grinned at the small blonde's gumption before following her in.  A fashionably dressed woman with white hair approached them.  The white hair was at odds with her unlined face.  She did not appear to be elderly, but one could never be sure.  

   "How may I help you today?", she asked in a husky voice.

   "I am trying to find a Mister Franklin Landry.  His services were recommended to me by a man at the hotel.  I must talk to him immediately", Lilly looked the woman directly in the eye.

   "Very well.  Follow me."

   As they trailed behind the woman, Zane whispered to Lilly, "I'd put my money on this being Madame Opal."

  Lilly nodded in agreement.  The trio made their way further into the building, winding through card tables, past an ornate bar, and through a set of heavy, maroon curtains.  A hallway with several doors lining it lay ahead.  Walking to the first door, bearing a placard that read Peacock Room, the woman knocked once, waited then twice more.  She then turned the knob and gestured for them to follow her.  Inside a table surrounded by 4 men and 2 women with cards and an array of chips before them, took up the center of the room.  The name of the room was an obvious reference to the decor.  Shimmery blues, greens, and silvers were prominent.  Artwork depicting peacocks and faraway places was spaced throughout.  A large, glass-fronted liquor cabinet took up a corner.  A noise beside startled Lilly.  Glancing over, she saw a black man in a suit stationed next to the door.  Wide-eyed she looked at Zane.  He shrugged and faced forward.  The woman who had led them there had approached the table, touching a handsome, dark-haired man on the shoulder before whispering in his ear.  He nodded and stood, revealing a silver and turquoise gun belt around his lean waist.  A flat-brimmed black hat with a band similar to his gun belt was placed on his head from where it hung on his chair.  Tipping the headpiece to his fellow players, he gathered his chips and handed them to Madame Opal.     

    "Opal has informed me you have business of great importance to talk to me about.  May I suggest we take this elsewhere?", an accent tinged his words.

   "I believe that would be best.  I am Lillian Farlow, Mister Landry, this is Zane Reeves.  He works with my partner and me.", Lilly offered her hand to shake.

     "A pleasure dear lady, please call me Franklin." sweeping his hat off, he placed a kiss on her knuckles.  He then placed his hat back on his head and offered his own hand to Zane.