Chapter 4

*Aspen P.O.V.*

    When we got up this morning Reed called Debbie to see if she had heard from Ben recently. She said that she had heard from him and that he came to see her last night. So we headed towards the city after we were cleared from quarantine. We were crossing the bridge to meet with Debbie, when all of a sudden the cab stopped behind traffic. We all got out of the car and Reed paid the cab driver. We went to where the crowd was gathered and we couldn't see a thing. I got on top of a car so that I could see better and I saw a moving rock pull a man in a seat out of a stopped semi. That had to be him. "Ben," I yelled cupping my hands around my mouth so I was louder. "Guys! I see him, but we have to get around the crowd," I said squatting so that they could hear me. I stood back up and quickly found a discreet way around. Their plan was to have Sue go through the crowd invisible and naked. I took my way and waited for them to get through. When they finally reached me Johnny handed Sue back her clothes so that she could change. "Nice of you to tell us about the discreet path you found," Johnny said. "You got around didn't you," I responded as I looked for Ben again. "Guys he's over there," I said.

    As soon as I spotted him, I spotted a little girl between cars. One car on fire and some propane tanks one of them was leaking near the flames. "Johnny," I yelled. He instantly saw the little girl and jumped to shield her from the flames of the explosion. The explosion caused the coming fire truck to swerve and hang off the side of the bridge. more explosion ensued this time coming towards Sue, myself, and the crowd behind us. Sue and I both put up our hands to shield our faces from the flames, creating a half invisible shield from Sue and a half water shield from me containing the blast. When the Blast was over I ran over to Johnny, "Are you ok," I asked. "Yeah I'm fine Beautiful. I can take a little heat," Johnny said flirtatiously. "I want talking to you, you dork. I was talking to the little girl," I said partially irritated. "Yes ma'am," the little girl said. "Johnny take her to find her mom," I instructed. "What are you going to do," Johnny said as he stood up. "I'm gonna put out these fires before they spread," I said getting in a stance to concentrate. "How is she going to do that, mister," I heard the little girl ask Johnny. "Well you see, we have special powers, fire can't hurt me, as you found out, and she can control water," Johnny explained.

    I imagined the water from the ocean coming up and pouring on the bridge where there was fire. I opened my eyes and the water was doing exactly what I visualized it doing so I continued to put out fires by moving the water around with my hands. When I was done I let the water drop and guided the excess water to the edges of the bridge. I turned around when heard a bunch of clapping and cheering and saw that the crowd loved me. "That was something else," Johnny said walking up to me. "Lets go," I said as I grabbed his hand and ran toward Ben who was pulling the tipping firetruck back on the bridge. And Reed stretching to catch a falling firefighter finally the chaos ceased. The police surrounded Ben with their guns up, but just as I was about to step in and protect my brother the whole squad of firefighters began clapping for Ben along with the onlooking crowd. We all caught sight of Debbie and the look on her face when she saw Ben in the light disgusted me. She took off her ring and placed it on the ground. Poor Ben he couldn't even pick it up, so Reed went over and picked it up for him and placed it in his palm.

     A little while later we were all in a quick tent where the paramedics checked our vitals and such. We were all fine. "Where are your ears," Johnny said. I gave him a look and Ben didn't answer. "What I was just asking a question," he defended against my look. We were interrupted from any further bickering by the Fire Chief coming in. "There's some folks outside who want to talk to you," he said. "We're not going public. We're scientists, not celebrities," Reed said. "Reed I think it's a little late for that," I said. "The water girl is right. It's too late. You all are already all over the news," he said turning on the tv, "that's what they're calling you, The Fantastic Five."

    "Cool," Johnny said just before he took of and we all went after him. "Which one of you is the leader," the Fire Chief asked. "That would be me," Johnny said. "You don't know the first thing about leading," I said to Johnny. "No seriously," the Chief said. Myself and Sue both looked to Reed and he stepped forward. "During our recent mission to the Von Doom station, we were exposed to what is yet an unidentified radioactive energy," Reed explained. Tons of questions were asked of all of us. "Is it true you can manipulate water," one reporter asked me. "Yes and I can also control the temperature of the water, willing it to freeze or boil," I responded. "Actually we do not know much more than you do at this point," Sue said ending the questions. We all were escorted back to the Baxter Building by police transportation to conduct further tests to learn the full extent of our so called powers in peace.