XXXIX (17.3)

I have to help them somehow, Ezezu. There must be a away, he insisted in his mind.

Don't worry too much. Whatever Midnight Breeze did to these people, it's not vampirism. That death spawned thing attacks the soul, corrupts it and makes a mockery out of life. These people are still alive, and their minds are being attacked, not their souls. Todor let out an explosive sigh when he heard that.

Todor and Norman left father Smiles sanctuary and walked to a lower level on Sea Pits slope. There another even bigger hallway went deep into the earth. This one was illuminated with oil lamps that flickered and gave unsteady light on the dirty and graffitied walls. But it was a short walk before they entered a large natural cavern that was made by the erosion of the sea eons ago. The high walls of the cavern were crisscrossed by walkways and catwalks made out gratings and wooden planks. Houses hanged from the roof of the cave like huge bats. It made Todor uneasy, as if any minute one of them will slip from its mooring and fall on their hands.

The large cavern was filled with life, people did their laundry, children played and chased each other, families relaxed on the balconies reading under the light of lanterns or witchfyre lamps. The town looked almost happy in its strange setting, nested under the ground, hidden from the sight of the more successful folk on the surface. But Todor didn't have time for sightseeing and Hillard led him at a fast pace.

If he didn't have his radar that mapped the trek they took, Todor would have been lost already. Going up and down the platforms, from one artificial clearing made out of ship parts suspended in the air to the other, made out of wood and hanging by thick ropes and chains. Soon they were going through a natural cave that had a hole in the sealing letting morning sunlight in. It shone on the large wooden structure in the middle of the cave.

"Is this it, agent Hillard?" Todor asked, eager to make even small step on the road of uncovering Midnight Breezes plans.

"That is the warehouse. Looks like father Smiles people are one responsible for guarding the place so it doesn't get looted."

Group of five men sat at the wooden table, chatting and playing cards. Their eyes focused on Todor and Hillard when they approached them.

"Well isn't that little Nommy. What does high and mighty peon of that long-eared gilf doing here?" One of the men said with a welcoming grin on his face.

"I see you are still ugly as ever, Backro," Hillard replied returning a smile.

"We don't have time for reunions. Let us grab the sample and send it to the lab as soon as we can," Todor interrupted them.

Hillard looked at him and then nodded.

"You are right, lives are at stake," He agreed.

"What is this about lives being in danger?" Backro asked, dropping the cards on the table and getting up.

"That jam everyone has been eating lately? It might be the reason why people are falling into a comma," Hillard said briskly.

"No shit? I ate that stuff," the man said wide-eyed.

Todor looked at him, the effect of the spell he cast still burned into his eyes.

"There are some infection but nothing major, your mind already fought it off," he reassured the man. "No time for explaining, give us few of the jars from the warehouse so we can send it for analysis."

"Sure no problem, but who are these guys? Your friends?" Backro asked eying someone behind them.

Todor cursed himself for not checking his radar and letting go of his magical awareness. He was in such a rush to get samples that he totally forgot to keep his vigilance.