XXVIII (13.1)

Just knowing is not enough, is it? I have to become stronger, Todor thought as the taxi stopped in front of his house. I proclaimed to Midnight Breeze I will protect this city, but how? I only have your borrowed strength, Ezezu. Without it, he would have overcome me, like an adult could overcome an unruly child. Ezezu sent a calming wave of emotions which Todor rejected. He wanted to calm down but somehow he felt he doesn't deserve calmness now. His eyes almost closed by themselves as he exited the vehicle and stepped on the concrete.

Todor shook his head trying to clear his thoughts before he made his way across the yard, swaying slightly from exhaustion. Using the potion the day before, and then that spell that he didn't know what really did to him. Those small wounds and bruises that he got from a beating haven't healed yet and they still ached him. On top of that, he was so tired he hadn't noticed a large man in a suit standing by his door. He almost bumped into him before raising his eyes to regard the stranger.

"Hello mister Corpus," agent Hillard said but Todor waved him off.

"I don't have time for your glares and issues, man. I need my bed now."

"Yes, sir. I will be in that van over there watching for dangers," agent said in a clipped tone. "One more thing, the governor said you can take the next two weeks off to heal and recuperate." Hillard stopped talking nodded and stormed off in the direction of the parked vehicle.

Todor unlocked the door just to be attacked by Mihos who's large head bumped into his shin. He smiled at the cat and as quickly as he could fill his bowl before going upstairs and dropping down on the bed. He was asleep before he hit the sheet.

He had dreams, but the memory of them fled once he woke up. His phone was vibrating in his pocket. He glanced through the window noting it was still dark outside. How long have I slept? He wondered groggily getting up on his feet. Bringing phone to his ear without even checking the caller.

"Yes?" he said massaging his eye with a palm.

"Teddy, you sound tired," Cassandra's voice came from the speaker.

"You got that from my one uttered word, eh?" Todor replied smiling.

"Well, I thought it is more political to say you sound tired instead of saying you sound like shit," she said with a chuckle.

"I bumped into Midnight Breeze," he said walking down the stairs. I need a shower, he thought as he walked past the large wall mirror.

"That vamp that roughed you up? Did he hurt you?" Cassandra asked quickly.

"No, but he has your roommate. Wendy was it? And I manage to ... " he stopped for a second. "Well, can you come over to my house and we can talk?"

"Neat, I'll bring my favorite movie. Flower of Maritong Clan," she said and dropped the line.

A few seconds later his phone buzzed again. It was text from Cassandra asking where he lives. He chuckled as he typed the address. He showered and waited for her to show up.

The rest of the night they spent talking in front of the TV, commenting on the action in the movie, joking around and overall having a great time. They fell asleep on the couch in each other's embrace.

Todor got woken by a ring on the door. His first thought was to panic and go for his weapons, the second was to look at Cassandra whos head rested on his chest. He smiled and let his palm go over her raven black hair. She mumbled something that Todor didn't understand before jamming her thumb into her mouth. She sucked on it for a second or two before turning to the other side of the couch, her feet hitting Todor into the face. He managed not to laugh out loud as he evacuated himself, walking slowly to the door.