XIX (8.2)

"It could be that racket golem made forced the Governor to send some of her poens to investigate," Cassandra answered doubtfully.

"You don't sound convinced," Todor said unholstering Jolt special with his right hand and dagger with his left.

"I am not. Whatever spell they are casting almost reached its peak. And they are heading right our way. Be ready for a fight," she said and then she opened her palms in front of her. Two double-edged axes materialized there in second.

"Cool axes," Todor said wide-eyed.

"They are almost useless, real steal weapon beats this if you are not a master in hawr-makan art. I am definitely not, I am just a beginner," she said then she grinned. "So that is why I developed a technique where I throw them and resummon them."

"I am sorry I dragged you into this," Todor said finally.

"You told me someone was after you. Well, you told me vampires are after you which is far less dangerous for me. But hey, you didn't know someone else out there wants your ass."

Todor nodded and turned in the direction armed men on the left were coming. He heard Cassandra whispering: "Other than me."

"You think you can handle those mages?" he asked flatly.

"Sure. They don't feel very powerful," she said cheerfully.

The flash of the fire revealed everything around them for a split second. Todor swang to see what is happening when one of Cassandra's axes turned into a shield in a blink of the eye. A moment later small explosion destroyed the shield but leaving Cassandra unharmed.

"What was that?" Todor asked her, a tinge of fear in his voice.

"Someone tried to snipe us with a fireball. I blocked it," she replied in a deadpan voice.

Todor looked at her then smiled.

"If I haven't agreed to this date, those golems would have come to my house and trashed it, probably killing me in the process," he said slowly, his attention not wavering from the data in front of him that represented people coming to kill him. "So, no matter how much I feel bad for dragging you into this, I am glad you are here. Otherwise, I would be a goner, for sure."

"You still might be, we aren't in a clear yet. Do you know anyone you could call for help?" Cassandra asked, her eyes darting to far off location where some spellcasters were gathering mana.

"I guess, don't know how much would that help," Todor said thinking of texting Irry and Mab. Those two maybe know someone who can come quickly to save our asses.

"Do it. I would have called my roommate but she has been gone for a week. She is quite handy with a gun, for a mute human girl," she said letting go of her axe which vanished.

Todor started typing text with blinks and sent it to his two friends.

"Before cavalry arrives, you think we would have an easier time trying to fight through the group with guns or group slinging fireballs at us?" Todor asked grabbing one of the potion packets from his pocket.

"That guy was very accurate with that fireball he threw. And he probably aimed blindly just sensing where he felt mana being channeled when I summoned my axes," Cassandra said, her voice almost a whisper. "I think this are ex-military mages. Let's hope people with mundane weapons are just higher thugs and not some kind of commandos."

Todor shook the potion, waited for a second for it to start alchemical reaction. When it started to bubble he slammed it into his mouth and bit into plastic. Brackish water spilled over his tongue and for a second nothing happened. Then the world stopped and Todor felt like he was pushed underwater. Turning his head to look at Cassandra took entire two seconds. Cassandra's eye widened in slow motion at his action. Then he realized he didn't slow down, his mind sped up. His movement started to catch up with his mind and he felt one with his body.