One Last Chance --- A walking Dead Fan-Fiction

The Cicada hummed loudly in the hot early September evening. The setting sun proved there may be something to hold on to in this crazy world. I lifted my visor and removed the guard helmet as I prepared to end my shift.

No sooner had I done that I caught movement from the corner of my eye. I turned to face the highway that in the incoming lanes was virtually empty yet the outgoing lanes moving quickly with the few cars on it. As the object came into view I saw it was yet another group of latecomers.

The vehicle approaches cautiously until it reached the barrier. I climbed down from my post and walked over to the RV, hand on my riffle.

An elderly man stepped out of the RV and walked over to the barrier to meet me.

"Evening, Ma'm." He greeted me

"Likewise. Looking for entrance to atlanta I presume?" I asked, not removing my hand from my belt.

"Yup, any room? Just myself." He asked.

"My apologies, Sir but the gates are closed and I'm not under the authority to re-open them. I'm afraid you'll have to leave." This phrase had grown more and more common by the hour, the amount of stragglers had grown scarcer.

"I can't leave, how long you think an old geyser like myself will last with all those things out there?"

I turned my head to view around the man and saw a small car approach in the next lane.

"Pardon me Sir, I'll be right back." I said as I approached the new arrivals. Two women probably about my age appeared.

"Sorry ladies, but the gates are closed, no one is allowed in." I told them solemnly.

"But we'll get torn apart out here! You're sentencing us to death!" The younger of the two cried at me about to hop the first row of barriers.

"Amy calm down, let me handle this." The other woman said. "The names Andrea, this is my sister Amy. Look we just want somewhere safe until this all blows over, please let us in." Andrea pleaded.

The man joined us and piped up

"There's plenty of room in Atlanta, surely you can squeeze in three more."

"The gate is closed, no one in. We can't risk someone infected coming and dooming us all." I replied rubbing the bridge of my nose.

"Bullshit!" Amy shouted "This is utter Bullshit!" She lunged at the barrier an I pulled out my riffle.

"Amy stop!" Andrea yelled grabbing her sisters shirt and pulling her back.

"Please accept my apologies but there's nothing I can do." I said returning my riffle to it's stealth.

"Can you get us someone to talk to? Whoever's in charge of security maybe?" The man asked.

"One moment." I said turning from the three and pulling out my walkie-talkie.

"HQ, this is Tiller requesting aid of Nixon. Over."

"Tiller this is HQ, request denied, Out."

The radio went silent and I turned to the others.

"I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do."

I saw the two women hug each other and and the man rub his forehead.

"I recommend you all try to find shelter soon, this area isn't safe at night, we may mistake you for the sick and shoot you by default." I turned from the three and returned to the smaller gate leading to the guard center.

"Good luck." I told the there before pulling the gate. To my surprise, it didn't budge. I tried again and still nothing. I figured they just locked it by accident and I pulled out my walkie-talkie again.