xi

[ CHAPTER 11 ]
a taehyung thing

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

TAEHYUNG is the most content he had ever been. now, mind you, he truly did adore his job but never had he loved it as much as he did now.

for many take their minor luxuries in life for granted, a lucky bonus in their package that was screwed to their backs. but a mere prod in the direction of a nail could send all spiralling in a mess of bemused shrieks for justice that some had never had in the first place.

so he makes sure not to slouch whenever he spots a german shepherd yipping patiently at his owner's heels in the waiting room and for good measure, adds a gentle rub to the back of the canine's ears once the dog refused to stare at him after his doings.

now, only a week into his job, taehyung can already sense the growing determination of resilience now wearing thin after having been bitten curtly by a hissing british shorthair that had briskly hightailed it out of the room once he had set her down.

"holly?" taehyung calls, stepping into the waiting room, clad in a pair of periwinkle scrubs.

a man, sheltered in the corner of the many plastic seats arranged around the room, head previously bowed to his device and a dark mask propped over his nose, glances up, tugging at the leash of a fawn toy poodle at his lap.

taehyung awaits patiently as the man collects the seemingly bored canine into his arm, the other sifting his phone into his back pocket as he shuffled forward, head tucked all the while.

now, something odd was off about this man. he seemed eerie and even the slightest bit familiar. it wasn't the clothes, they were of rich brands although but it was the frame that he was drawn to. the stocky yet slim body, that taehyung was so accustomed to glaring at.

"we're just in here for today." he chirps, the pads of his finger nudging at the door.

the man lumbers in, setting the poodle upon the bench in the middle of the room before shuffling back, staring expectantly at the doctor.

"right, so holls annual checkup?"

nodding curtly, the man lifts his arm to slot a finger beneath the lip of his mask, tugging it carefully beneath his chin.

"hey silver." he croaks, voice husky as he offers the male a thin-lipped smirk.

"jeongguk?!"

lips widening at the evident surprise that laces the elder's tone, jeongguk tucks his fingers into the pockets of his jeans as he speaks, "surprised?"

"what are you doing here?" he hisses, "oh my God, are you going to get me fired again?"

"no." jeongguk scoffs, rolling his eyes, "just give me the all clear about the dog."

scowling, taehyung abides offering the poodle a gentle ruffle at her head before slipping his palms beneath her belly and lifting her upon the scale pressed at the end of table.

"you're a healthy pup aren't you, holls?" taehyung coos as his gaze flickers to the numbers printed upon the scale, hands reaching forward to pull the dog back to the bench before shooting the younger male. suspicious glare, "you said you never had a pet before?"