"i do. i really really do," he whispered. harry kisses him again and holds him close, feeling louis' tense body fall pliant in his arms. he loved this boy with all of his heart and he couldn't wait for their future to finally come.

—-

louis stared at the crowd with wide eyes. he knew alot of people would show up for the ceremony but he didn't expect this many. there were almost no empty seats. people were already beginning to sit on the steps, line up along the walls and stand in doorways. it was truly a packed house and only a small portion of those said people were for him.

he wasn't upset, he actually appreciated that he had people waiting to watch him get his diploma. he just wished his mum was here to see it too.

"i love you," harry says. "but i have to go into teacher mode."

louis chuckles and looks at the crowd again. "okay, mr. styles."

harry quirks an eyebrow up. "i haven't heard that come out of your mouth in a long time."

louis hums and adjusts his cap. "well, when you go by first name basis for a while, you kind of forget."

his boyfriend laughs at that and claps his shoulder. "congratulations, louis," he says, a little too properly. "i know you'll do great things."

"kiss my ass."

harry smirks and backs up, retreating to the seating area where the teachers sat. they were in the front two rows on the left hand side of the auditorium. the students were dead center right in front of the stage and the rest of the guests were here and there. louis sat in his seat, picking at his gown. the graduation gown was solid black but it had a green tassel around it with the school logo hanging from the bottom. his cap had the same thing, but without the charm.

the principal came to the stage and said his stupid words about how he was proud of each and every student for achieving the required goals made in order to be where they are today. it honestly went in one ear and out the other for louis because he was too focused watching harry listen to his boss intently. harry's crisp suit pants hugged around his legs so tight that louis was afraid they would rip and everyone would see his tiger tattoo on his thigh. he had a white button up shirt on, covered with a black blazer and he had an undone bowtie hanging around his neck. he claimed it was "fashion" but really he and louis didn't know how to fix a bowtie and he didn't want to wear a regular one.

after more speeches were made by staff members and students, they were leaded by row to the stage. louis was bouncing on his heels as he stood near the steps. this was it. he was feet away from getting this silly piece of paper that said he was smart enough to pass twelve years of high school and listen to everyone's fake claps. he didn't understand why they made such a big deal out of these things but it's whatever, he just wants to go back home and snuggle up in harry's warm bed while they finish watching dexter and feeding eachother candy. plus he missed stewie, the poor pup is probably bored out of his mind.

louis steps up on the stage when the girl in front of him makes her way across. he catches liam and zayn's gaze on him and he waves at his friends before jumping and nearly tripping over his own feet when his name was called.

it didn't surprise him that his friends stood on their chairs and screamed his name as loud as they could, but what did surprise him was harry doing so as well. harry had to be professional and right now he was acting like a child, whistling and cheering as his boyfriend took his diploma from the head of the board of education. liam and zayn were yelling how much they loved him and zayn said he wanted louis to have his babies, which made louis turn around and wink at him, of course. his friends were idiots.

harry smiled as wide as his face would let him as louis hopped down the steps and down the aisle. he passed right by him and shook his hand like he did with some of the other teachers, but harry gave him a firm squeeze and a sneaky wink. louis' face flushed a deep red because he was so hot and he couldn't handle it.

after every name was called, all of the graduates stood in straight lines right in front of their seats. they were congratulated as a whole, then were given permission to toss their caps in the air. louis felt a wave of freedom course over him as his cap flew up and back down in his hand.

he nestled the cap back on his head and he weaved through the students to make his way to his friends, who were already on the look for him as well. liam picked him up and set him on his shoulders, holding his calves tight as he walked towards zayn. the other lad hopped over one of the chairs and hugged his boyfriend, then gave louis a fist bump since he was so high in the air.

"we really did it," he says. "we fucking graduated."

"i don't know how to feel," liam chuckles. "i'm happy but sad at the same time."

"i'm just ready to leave," louis snorts and pats liam's head. "let's go find our family."

liam walks with ease, ignoring louis' banter about how if liam dropped him that he would skin him alive and successfully made it to where their families were sitting. zayn's mum was talking with liam's parents about further things when the three boys arrived and liam put louis down, who was soon swooped up into his dad's arms.

"you did it, bunny!" bennett crowed and spun him around. "look at you! i'm so proud of you, buddy!"

louis smiled and brushed himself off when he was placed back on his feet. "thank you, dad."

"oh i wish johannah was here," bennett murmured. "she would be crying her eyes out. she's so proud of you, love. she's been watching over you this whole time."

"i hope so," louis says. he takes a deep breath and accepts hugs from liam and zayn's family members, thanking them for their kind words and blushed when liam's mum gave him a flower and an envelope.

"for my adopted son," she hums. "congratulations, lou baby."

"thank you, mummy payne," he teared up and hugged her tight. "thank you for everything you have done for me."

"i have your back forever," karen kisses his temple. "open that later, i need you to dry your tears up now, okay? we're going out for dinner and we can't have you like a blubbering mess in public."

louis laughed and wiped his eyes. "better?"

"much," karen smiled and pinched his cheek. "picture time!"

louis, zayn and liam huddle together to take many, many photos. some of them were silly, some proper and some just outright stupid. the image saved to louis' phone was the one that had zayn and liam holding louis sideways in their arms with louis' face propped up on his fist. with liam's cheeky smile and zayn's funny facial expression, it was them in a nutshell, the perfect picture.

goodbye high school, hello real world.

—-

i wanna say there may be like two or three chapters left before optional comes to an end. 😭 im so sad, i love this book so much and it is so underrated. but i will explain why i wrote this when the epilogue is up, be ready for tears and be ready for the best chapter i will ever write in my entire life.

louis is donezo, out of school for good. thoughts? he was in school throughout the whole book, whether it be in class, the senior meetings or his homebound. he has grown since the first chapter, always dreading going to school and now he's actually FINISHED. im a proud mom.

thank you for 19k! optional has an official playlist on my spotify, which is x.kcms.x! go check it out if you love me :)