Chapter 28: Family or Fortune?

Over the years, there was much talk and controversy over Thorin after the Seven Kingdoms had met in Ered Luin decades ago and the Lord of the Ironfists had made their stance clear. No commonfolk were present during what had happened after, in Thorin's throne room, but one could easily hear the Ironfist grumble and spit insults in the hours leading up to his punishment. Some of the Dwarves found what he had said very convincing; Thorin was unmarried, and had very few friends; kept to himself too often and too much; he was the King of the Longbeards yet was adamant on trimming his beard despite his title and birthright; was bound for madness at any time, thanks to his family's history of it; and, more importantly, Thorin had an unusual indifference for wealth. The latter will be explained.

There was a squabble between two competing merchants who specified in toymaking and were vendors in Dunland, where many larger kingdoms of Men such as Rohan or Gondor would occasionally travel to and trade. One of the merchants accused the other of sabotaging his toys with hidden knives or nails to ruin his reputation and his business. They then retaliated by stealing the earnings box of the accused, who had not realized it was missing until he had returned to Ered Luin, and his opponent had already arrived there just a day earlier after an unsuccessful week of returns and angry folk. Unable to resolve the issue civilly, they both promptly went to Thorin. (Fili and Kili were stationed by him at the time but were ordered to be silent and behaved at all meetings.)

Thorin heard their stories clearly and, with exasperation, knew how to settle the matter. He looked to the accused first, "Did you do what he is claiming?"

The accused, who's name was Refr, was silent but openly showing that he was guilty.

"Must I ask a second time?" Thorin demanded, his anger in his tone caused both Dwarves to flinch and grip their beards for self-comfort.

Refr let out a mix of a growl and a grumble before finally gurgling out his reply, "I did."

"I knew it! I knew it was you, you bastard, you barmy fool!"

Refr glared at him, "Says the one who stole my money!"

"It was fair payback for the amount of money I lost that week because of you!"

Thorin snapped at them harshly in Khuzdul, ending the argument as immediately as it began. His attention was then turned to the accuser, who's name was Vangr, "Was anyone hurt?" Vangr furrowed his brows in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"You say that he put sharp things in your toys. I want to know how many people were harmed and if you helped them."

"I don't know! I was concerned about the bloody sabotage!" Vangr replied impatiently. Thorin frowned at his reply. Refr looked at him, "Please, Thorin, I need my money back! I-I cannot afford to take care of my family without it!" Thorin held his frown to him, "Refr, I know that you live very well off and that a week's worth of salary is not going to starve your family." His gaze was then placed on both of them again, "I think you both got what you deserved, and now both of your businesses will suffer because of it. If you (Refr) had not been so careless about the lives of other's and eager to double your earnings, and you (Vangr) had not stolen his money to replenish your losses, we would not be here and my opinion of both of you would not be tarnished as it is right now."

Vangr gaped in sheer shock, "How can you, of all people, say that?! Did you forget the hoard that your grandfather built with the value of wealth and pride on his mind at every deal he ever made? I guess that is why we have no hoards here!"

"I am not my grandfather!" Thorin snapped defensively, even surprising his nephews, then gradually calmed himself before continuing, "We do not need hoards to be in peace. We do not need wealth to be prosperous." Refr, curious by Thorin's words, asked, "How?"