Chapter 24: Spar

One spring morning, Thorin had sent Fili and Kili to train with Dwalin as usual. Of course, he could teach them himself, but along with his teachings he wanted his nephews to learn the tactics of the fighters of the Iron Hills that Dwalin had obtained, as they were the mightiest soldiers of all the Dwarf realms. He wanted Fili and Kili to be just as great as he was, for he knew nothing of what would stand before them in their lifetime as opposed to his own. After two short hours, Thorin was in the dining room having the rare ale, when Dwalin burst into the room, growling, "I cannot take—" He paused, as his eyes spotted Thorin's ale mug with a quarter remaining, "Is that an ale?" Thorin frowned and took the mug by the handle, pulling it closer to him, "What of it?" He muttered. Dwalin grew a smirk, "What's the occasion?"

"I was in the mood," Thorin mumbled, "What do you want?"

Dwalin crossed his arms, "Your nephews are drivin' me mad, Thorin!"

Thorin looked up at him, he wasn't surprised that Fili and Kili would have gotten into some sort of trouble, but if it was trouble that Dwalin could not handle on his own then it must have been quite serious, "What did they do?"

"Those little smart arses won't let me teach 'em! It's 'Uncle Thorin' this and 'Uncle Thorin' that!"

Thorin grew a smirk, "You are upset because they know I am better than you...I see," he said, drinking from his ale, which reminded him that he needed to ask for a refill. Dwalin frowned, "You are drunk, aren't you? Even you know that I am better than you in every type of weaponry and in strength!" Thorin pushed his mug far aside, then glared up at his cousin, "I never once admitted so...perhaps it is time we finally addressed this." Dwalin sighed and lightened his frowned, "Well, Thorin, I would love to, but I really do not want to embarrass you in front of your nephews."

"Or you are too afraid to try," Thorin argued, "I will never lose my nephews' respect, I am confident of that. Would you rather continue to hear them speak of how great I am, or will you accept my challenge and face me in a spar to see who is truly the greatest?"

Dwalin studied Thorin for a moment, "When was the last time you used your sword?"

"More recent than you think," Thorin answered, keeping his smirk, "When was the last time you picked one up?" The taller Dwarf tensed, his face growing red with anger and embarrassment. Thorin knew well that he preferred his axes to a sword. "Fine, I accept your challenge! If I win, I get the bragging rights and I will continue to teach your little nephews; if you win, you will take over." Thorin rose from his seat, the two shook hands on the deal.

"This time tomorrow?"

"Aye, and let your nephews watch."

After the challenge was made, Thorin immediately took his sword, Deathless, outside to train. The spring air still lingered with the briskness of winter, so he took a bear-fur coat to wear over his casual clothes. Fili and Kili had caught him heading for the gates and began to follow him along the way. He hadn't yet told them about the spar because although he believed he was confident in their admiration for him, he did fear to let them down as their sole role model. "Where are you going, Uncle?" Kili asked, looking up at Deathless in awe. Thorin glanced down at his nephews, "I am going to train the forest for a while."

"Can we come with you?" Fili asked, "We want to train with you!"

"Not until you are old enough," Thorin declined, "My methods are far more vigorous than yours', you still need to develop your skills before you may face me." Kili bounced ahead and grinned at him, "It is true that you are going to spar with Mr. Dwalin?" Thorin frowned and looked down at him, "How do you know about that already?" Fili caught up to his younger brother, "Mr. Dwalin told us, he said that we are going to watch! He was oddly excited about it, too!" Thorin rolled his eyes and sighed, "Yes, yes, it is true and that is why I am training."