Chapter 16: 100th Anniversary

By the time Durin's Day came around, everything was ready. Balin had porters pillage and infiltrate all the vendors of Bree until their inventories ran dry, as a feast for all Dwarves required an enormous amount of food and drink. While this enraged the peoples of the Shire and Bree, the vendors were rewarded with wealth, as the Dwarves were permitted to pay any cost for the success of the feast by Thorin Oakenshield himself. The last few needed items had to be traded for by the people of Gondor, in return for the commission of some few jewels and necklaces. Dwarves were pouring into the West in herds and large families from every house and status. The Hobbits were frightened by the presence of the taller and intimidating Dwarves, while Men were rather annoyed because not only had they run their vendors dry, but they crowded the streets and filled the Prancing Pony's rooms to every corner, trying to squeeze in another Dwarf into an already vacant room. There was no doubt a shortage of ale in Bree, which Thorin had promised to replenish...this made some, if not most, of the residents of Bree more comfortable. Because there was not enough room for all Dwarves to reside in the Blue Mountains, and the neighbouring lands owned by the Broadbeams and the Firebeards, most Dwarves had to camp outside. This, however, was not an issue, as Dwarves were very accustomed to living on the road, especially those from Dunland who had been in exile with Thorin and his family. This night had to be perfect, it was for all those who lost their lives to the terrible six-year war, including Thrór and Frerin, whom were still dear to Thorin's heart; this night meant something to every Dwarf of every House, which was why the Ironfists and the Stonefoots did not question attending the reunion. Of course, his nephews did not and could not understand the significance of the grand event, especially when Thorin told them that they were not receiving gifts this Durin's Day.

"Kinship is more important than gifts," Thorin told them at their breakfast, "You will receive gifts next year, but you will not see all of your kin next year."

Kili still pouted, with his arms firmly crossed, and completely ignoring his bowl of plain porridge in front of him. Fili tried to understand, but couldn't, "But, Uncle, we don't know them." Thorin pushed Kili's bowl of porridge closer to him to encourage him to continue eating, "That is why we have these feasts and reunions, so we can know them," he explained, "It is important that we stay united, no matter what stands before us, we will always have our kin."

Kili suddenly burst into a snicker.

Thorin looked at him sharply, "What are you snickering about?"

"Loner," Kili replied.

"Loner?"

"Mr. Dwalin says you are a loner," Fili said, "That you don't like parties or feasts and that you like to be by yourself."

Thorin glanced down at his own empty bowl, "Some are that way, there is nothing wrong with it," he muttered. Explaining this after explaining the importance of solidarity was much harder, after all, all Dwarves thrived in the company of each other, but Thorin did not. Though his spirits would be lifted initially, his soul ultimately drained in the presence of others; he preferred the tranquillity of a silent and blue night, while self-reflecting while brooding over the Misty Mountains, plotting the day he would climb those mountains again to return to where he belonged. The Lonely Mountain looking back at him, just waiting to be reclaimed.

Fili and Kili got up from their chairs and rushed to hug Thorin, though they were still very small, so they could only hug his legs. Thorin looked down at them in surprise.

"We don't want you to be by yourself, Uncle, you have us!" Fili said cheerfully.

Thorin sighed, as the two looked up at him with their wide, innocent eyes, "Yes, you are right," he answered, then smiled, "I am very grateful for that." He gently pulled them off him, "Now, finish your breakfast." Fili quickly returned to his seat, but Kili pouted once again, "Don't like porridge, I want sugar," he muttered. Thorin frowned, "I told you, Kili, no sugar. I want you both on your best behaviour today, and that includes wearing your best clothes." Kili huffed, "Don't like it," he muttered, "Too furry."