Chapter 22: Dís' Birthday

South of Ered Luin was the Gulf of Lhûn, a body of water shaped as an arrowhead pointing eastbound, not far from the west coast that brought in the water from the Sea. Boats from Mithlond travelled through this body of water to get to the Undying Lands. Because of its immediate connection to the Sea, one could see the Gulf open up to the rest of the vast, blue Sea just by standing at the north-shore, south of the Blue Mountains. When the sun was at its peak for the day, the Gulf captured the rays of the Sun and sprawled them out across its surface, causing it to shimmer and glimmer like the light reflecting off of gems. At sunset, when the sky displayed its fiery, magical colours, the Gulf's surface reflected the sky, but in a reddish-purplish tinge. At night, when the full moon played its part, the Gulf's surface would turn silver, as if the metal had been liquified, dumped into the land and pooled together to make the Gulf; or as if the Moon had fallen down flat onto the Gulf itself and leaked out towards the East. The Gulf and the following rivers were named after this perspective of the phenomenon. These were the Gulf's most beautiful moments; unfortunately, ' birthday came on a day when the clouds of grey blocked the Sun's glory and left the sky in a grey as fair as the buildings of Mithlond, but Thorin was adamant on taking her there. The sight of the Sea, some say, would sooth anyone in sorrow with its song and from its waves of calm nature and tranquility, the Gulf only replicated these aspects in a gradually smaller nature, just before it narrowed to Lhûn and Little Lhûn. Thorin was once suggested to go and see the Gulf himself, just to see if the belief was true and if it would help ease his burdened expression, but he did not believe that a simple Gulf would help him; his burdens were too profound and too vigorous for him to repress and silence. Ever since his nephews could step outside the gats of Ered Luin with him, Thorin had told them multiple times not to venture near the Gulf; although the Gulf was very appealing to the eye and soul, its current was rough and fast and would easily sweep away any inexperienced or experienced swimmer. Dwarves were not overly fond of putting themselves in water leisurely unless they were forced to do so during their travels, they were the people of the Earth and therefore had no need or desire to swim...although Dwarflings seemed to see the enjoyment in it, though are usually not ever taught and usually grow out of the interest eventually. Although Dís had endured slightly more burdens than him, Thorin was confident that the Gulf would help her, along with being with her sons. The day before, Thorin had approached Oin, the apothecary, in his quarters to ask if Dís would be capable of at least getting out of bed.

"Aye, she is perfectly capable. The maids even say she had often gotten out of bed quite recently," Oin responded.

Thorin was curious on what she would be doing if she were not still mourning, "To do what?" He asked.

"She does not do anything in particular, my guess is that her body gets sore after lyin' there for hours on end."

Thorin glanced up, "At least she still bears some common sense," he muttered, "Would she be able to step outside? I would like to take her and her sons to the Gulf tomorrow." Oin thought, stroking his long, graying beard, "She should be fine, although she may be a wee more tired than usual, I suggest you hold her arm." The very idea of walking his younger sister like she was an old woman made Thorin uncomfortable, and if Dís was sane she would also feel the same, but he knew that he had to make some amount of sacrifice to make her comfortable and happy tomorrow.

Fili and Kili, mostly Kili, were struggling with keeping the surprise from their mother. The morning before her birthday, Kili would stand by the closed door of their mother's room and squirm with anxiousness until his brother could finally pull him away.

"Why can't we give her the gift now?" Kili complained at breakfast.

"It is best to give her everything all at once," Thorin explained, "Why do you think we only receive gifts on Durin's Day?" Kili blinked, nothing came to mind. "What is your favourite day of the year?" Thorin asked, a little impatiently because he had to explain himself yet a second time.

Life in ExileOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara