Chapter 12: Dís and Vili

Seventeen years had passed since Thorin took his father's throne, and most Dwarves of Ered Luin would say that Thorin was the better King between both his father and grandfather. Thorin was caring to his own people, yet aggressive and assertive to those who offended his people. Over the years, this aggressiveness had turned him into a solemn and strict Dwarf in the eyes of his closest comrades, but they respected him and obeyed him nonetheless. Thorin's reputation had grown so great that any Dwarf from Ered Luin was guaranteed work of some kind in Bree or Dunland. He spent most of his days on his throne, in his halls, facing whoever came to him. The House of Durin was finally in stable peace and prosperity.

Thorin had appointed Dwalin to be his invaluable commander of infantries, due to his impressive skills he had attained during his years in The Iron Hills. Dwalin was put in charge of training new soldiers to be just as mighty as himself, and one day perhaps the army of Ered Luin would be as great as that of The Iron Hills. Dwalin had recruited young Vili without Thorin's knowledge, but often noticed that he was not present during a large portion of training and would return near the second half. One day, he was fed up and he brought this to Thorin's attention.

"That young Stiffbeard concerns me, Thorin," Dwalin grumbled to Thorin, who sat on his throne.

Thorin glanced up at him, "Vili?"

"Aye, the lad quits halfway through and returns at the end! Either he is not takin' it seriously or..."

"Or what?"

"He could be a spy," Dwalin muttered.

Thorin raised a brow, "A spy?" He said with disbelief, "Under who's command?"

Dwalin stepped closer, "It must be the Ironfists."

Thorin laid back in his throne, "The Ironfists may be doubtful, but they are daft. They would never send a spy," he argued, "Perhaps you should follow Vili wherever he goes."

"You mean...I become a spy?"

A smirk grew from under Thorin's beard before he gave him an approving nod.

Dwalin crossed his arms and thought with extreme consideration, "You ought to join me, Thorin. You need some fun." Thorin frowned, "I need to wait for the arrival of the elves of Lindon."

"For what purpose?"

"They would like to know our exact produc—"

Dwalin grabbed Thorin by the scruff of the silver fur of his blue cloak to pull him up, "That does not sound too important, does it? Besides, they are elves, they are no greater than you, Thorin!"

Thorin stood behind a wall while Dwalin was with the trainees in the room on the other side. The plan was for Dwalin to wait until Vili left, before also leaving so that he and Thorin could follow him. Thorin certainly did not like loitering while waiting for Dwalin to meet him, he felt awkward and he constantly grumbled to himself about how he had managed to get to this uncomfortable situation. Finally, Vili left the room and quickly slipped by Thorin without noticing him. Thorin watched as Vili hurried down the hall, he knew there were some occupied rooms down that particular hall, but that hall also led to the mines of Ered Luin. Dwalin soon joined Thorin and the two followed Vili quietly. After passing a few rooms, Vili finally turned down into a room that Thorin thought was already taken by someone else.

"They moved, and I gave him that one," Dwalin explained in a whisper.

Thorin led the way to the room slowly, staying close to the wall. He then stopped at the door, which was closed but not closed all the way. He turned to Dwalin, "You look," he whispered.