Chapter 3 - Exile and the War of Dwarves and Orcs (2770 - 2799)

In three days, the Dwarves passed the Brown Lands, but they were soon  encountered by the mighty Anduin River that stood in their way of  reaching the Misty Mountains, which were clear to see and were to be the  checkpoint of their travels. The issue was that the Anduin was very  deep with a mild current, and some of the members of the group could not  and would not swim across. There was soon an argument on what they were  to do. Balin pulled out the map again and pointed that there was a  bridge about two hundred and fifty miles north of where they stood, but  that would require over a week of walking. Soon came an uproar of  disagreement, especially from those who were older, fatter, and still  recovering from injuries.

As the group bickered, Thorin looked  across the Anduin and up at the range of mountains blanketed by mist.  There had to be some way to get across so that everyone would be well  enough to make the climb up those mountains. He remembered that the  tradesmen of Gondor came up through the River Running by boats so that  they could trade in Dale. They were well crafted and exquisitely  designed, but what Thorin was always intrigued by was how the boats  could carry so many things at once and not sink. He wondered if the same  could be done in this situation. He turned back to the others and  quickly counted them. There would not be enough time or potential  resources to make an abundant amount of boats, but it was possible to  make multiple trips with a small number of boats. As soon as he  perfected his plan in his head, Thorin ran up to Balin and stood between  the argument, "I have a plan!" He declared, which silence everyone and  bought their undivided attention.

"We build a few boats and make trips back and forth until everyone is across."

Some  liked this plan, others were still unsure, and Balin argued, "What will  we do with the boats then? They will be extra weight!"

"We can  sell them," Thorin answered, "If not everyone can find work to sustain  themselves, we will sell the boats and give them the money."

This gained everyone's approval.

Thráin  was nearby and was impressed with what his son had planned. So was  Thrór, who agreed with Thorin that not everyone would be able to find  work once they reached the West and therefore they had to gain funds by  any means necessary.

"Does anyone here know how to build a boat?" Balin asked.

The  question had to be asked. Dwarves were not equipped with that sort of  knowledge, as they spent most of their lives underground and in  mountains where boats were not necessary; Boats were a craft of Elves  and Men. Everyone searched each other for any hope of knowledge, soon  the search became desperate and losing faith. One Dwarf, who was  injured, raised his arm, "I do." Every set of eyes went to the Dwarf at  the back of the group, his leg was in a worn bandage and his beard was  uneven, as part of it had been burned off. He agreed to teach everyone,  but only if he could receive a fair portion of the profits made by the  selling of the boats. Everyone consented, and he immediately began to  separate everyone into groups. Thorin, Dwalin, Thráin, and a few  stronger Dwarves were put in charge of cutting down trees from the  Greenwood.

Thorin had to borrow an axe from Dwalin, as he did not  own one and a sword would be obviously useless against a tree. Thorin  read the runes on the axe that was given to him, "Keeper," he  read, "Keeper of what?" Dwalin smiled proudly, "It makes sense with the  other one," he explained, holding his up, "This grasps your soul, that  one keeps it; Grasper and Keeper." Thorin smirked at  the creativity and vulgarity of the names, then approached a tree that  stood at the edge of the Greenwood, "Do trees have souls?" He wondered.  Dwalin began to chop at a nearby tree, "Some do! They are Ents!" Thorin  was soon reminded of the tales he read in his studies about Ents, the  children of Ivon*, who was the wife of Mahal*, the creator the Dwarves.  He was certain that the tree that stood before him was not in fact alive  and began to cut the tree down.