Chapter 7 - A Single Rose

Cassandra

I got up the next day feeling refreshed.

I checked myself out in the mirror.

My rib bruise had almost vanished and my wounded foot had started to heal a little.

After that, I went on with the rest of my day. Getting ready, dropping Eva off at elementary, and me heading to high school.

'It's her!'
'Isn't that the girl who stole Victoria's boyfriend?'
'I heard that they've been together for months and Victoria didn't know!'
'I saw them making out behind the school yesterday!'
'They were holding hands in the hall!'
'Victoria's gonna kill her.'
'She won't last a day.'
'She's dead.'

That was only a handful of the rumours that I overheard as I walked past people in the hallway to get to my locker.

I tried not to make any eye contact with anyone and I used my hair as a sort of shield that I could hide behind to lessen the chances of people noticing or recognizing me.

It didn't work.

As I got closer to my locker, I saw a gaggle of girls that I had never met, waiting for me there.

"You're Cassandra, right?" One asked.

"Yes, that's me," I responded wearily, as I messed around with my lock to try and open my locker; kind of annoyed and embarrassed with all the newfound attention.

"What's it like dating the most popular guy in school?" Another gushed eagerly.

'This again?' I thought to myself, as my frustrations started to bubble over.

"I and Andrew are not dating. He was just being a nice guy by helping me up. I'm not trying to steal him away from Victoria and whatever else you heard was a lie. Now take a hike." I said, attempting to shoo them away with my hands.

I got an assortment of complaints and protests but eventually, they started to get the hint and began to leave.

"Bye girls!" I called out at them sarcastically, with a hint of sass in my voice.

Once I knew for sure that they were gone I sighed, closed my eyes and leaned my head in my locker, in the hopes to disappear from the world.

But oddly... my locker smelled different... very... floral?

That thought alone got me to open my eyes and peer into my locker so I could figure out where the smell was coming from.

I looked into my locker, finally realized that there was a single rose in it with a sticky note attached to the flower.

I pulled it off the beautiful plant to read what was on it.

It said:

I didn't know what to say or do

Who could this person be?

And do they seriously like me?

I whipped out my phone to text Bella.

"I have to tell you something, meet at lunch?" I typed swiftly.

My phone dinged a second later. "Sure. Have to go, class starting soon, talk to you later."

"Ok, bye" I sent back.

Then the bell rang and I headed off to my first period, chemistry.