Chapter 1

*Aspen P.O.V.*

    I woke up to a call from Reed. "Hello," I said groggily. "Hey Aspen how would you like to join your brother and I on the opportunity of a life time," he said enthusiastically. "Reed you do realize that it is 4am in Alabama right now right. So I'm going to need you to tone it down a little," I said. "Sorry. I'm just excited. You'll need to be in New York by Thursday. I hope you'll join us," Reed said. "Ok. I'll get a ticket for tonight to fly up," I said. "Ok. Can't wait to see you again," Reed said, "Ben and I will both pick you up at the airport."

    "What kind of outfits should I pack," I asked. "Pack at least one nice outfit, like something you would wear to an interview," he said. "Ok. Will do," I said, "See ya later Reed." I hung up and went back to sleep. Later I woke up at 7am. Purchased my ticket for my flight tonight and went to work at my lab job. I got to work and my work best friend met me in the parking lot. "Hey Aspen. What's new," she asked. "Oh I'm going up to New York to night my flight is at 7:30. Can you give me a ride to the airport," I asked. "Are you sure James will let you go," she asked. "Yes it's for science. Besides it will only be for a few days," I said. We walked into work and I found James, my boss. "Hey Mr. Donaldson. Can I talk to you for a minute," I said. "Yes. Please come into my office," he said. "I'm gonna need the next week off after today," I requested. "And why is that," he asked. "My presence has been requested for a scientific expedition into space, Sir. The sole purpose of the expedition is to better understand the biological changes in DNA," I explained. "That's great Aspen, but I don't understand why you are needed. You are a chemist," he said confused. "That's the thing Sir. The cause of the biological changes is in the chemical properties of a cosmetic storm. I have been asked to study the chemical make up of past cosmic storms to factor potential damage of the next storm," I explained. "Yes you may go, but you have to tell me all about it when you get back," he said. "Thank you Sir," I said then went to do my job for the day.

   When work was over I went home to pack my bag. I pack enough outfits for a week plus my interview dress. When I finished packing my stuff I gave Grace a call. "Hey I'm ready to go," I said. "Ok I'll be there in 10 minutes," she responded. When we got to the airport I said my goodbyes to Grace and my godchildren. "I'm gonna miss you all so much," I said as I gave them hugs. Then I got on the plane to take the long flight to New York. I eventually fell asleep and didn't wake up until we landed. I quickly went to baggage claim to collect my bag then went to find Reed and Ben. When I spotted them I grinned and began to walk faster. When I finally reached them, I gave Ben the biggest hug. "I've missed you so much," I said when we finally parted. Then I hugged Reed, "I've missed you too."

   "So you wanna fill me in a little more," I said referring to the mission that I flew up for. As we rode in a cab to the Baxter Building Reed began to fill me in on information I was missing. When we arrived at the Baxter Building, Reed and Ben took me upstairs and showed me to my room.

**Thursday**

   I got up early because Reed said that we had to be at a business appointment at 10:00am. Wonder where the proposal is going to be at. I got dressed in my interview dress and a pair of black heels.

 I got dressed in my interview dress and a pair of black heels

(Interview dress ^^^)

(Aspen ^^^)(imagine the hairstyle down to her mid-back)

   When the boys finally woke up they were a little groggy and didn't recognize me until I turned around. "Woah Aspen! You really grew up on us," Ben said. "I didn't grow up on you. I just became more of a woman after I moved to Alabama," I said as I finished my coffee. "Now you two better go get dressed or we'll be late," I said. That's when they finally checked the clock and rushed to their rooms to get ready. We arrived at our destination of business and climbed out of the cab. As soon as we stepped out we saw an almost completed statue of someone. "Typical of Von Doom to build a 30 foot statue of himself," my brother stated. "Well, it's obviously aimed at first-time visitors to create feelings of smallness...inadequacy," Reed said trying to convince himself. "Good thing it ain't workin'. Reed what are we doing here? This guy's fast-food, strip-mall science," Ben said his patience clearly wearing off. "This wasn't our first stop, in case you forgot NASA. Besides," Reed reasoned, "Victor's not that bad. He's just a little...larger than life."

   When we finally got into the building we went to the floor and room we were told to go to. On the way up Ben told me to be nice to this 'Victor' person no matter what. We reached the conference room and Reed began his presentation. Reed was cut off when he got to the part about saving children. I wanted to knock him out so badly when he continued to cut Reed off. "Same old Reed reaching for the stars with the weight of the world on his back. But dreams don't pay the bills, do they," he said as he tossed a tabloid in the table. Reed continued to beg for Von Doom's help. "So, it's not just my money you want. It's my toys," he said, "tell me, if NASA doesn't trust you, then why should I?"

   "Because you could be known as an one of the individuals that found the cure for countless diseases. The name Victor Von Doom would go down in history in more places ever thought imaginable," I interjected. "What's your name again," he asked. "Aspen Grimm. Successful chemist of NASA," I answered. "Well, Aspen. I'm glad you said something. I was beginning to think you were mute," I he said. "I was just biding my time," I responded confidently. "That's my job, Reed, to stay one step ahead, to know what other men don't," Von Doom stated with a smug smile. "I can't take this," Ben said facing his back to Von Doom. "Ben, this is business. Just work," Reed said to Ben. "He's right, Ben. It is just business," a familiar voice said from behind me and I turned around. "I think you all know my director of genetic research Susan Storm," Von Doom said. "One more thing he's got," Ben said from behind me. "Hey, Sue," I said. "Aspen?! Is that you? Wow you've really grown up haven't you," Sue said surprised. "Yeah I guess. The woman in me really came out after I move down to Alabama," I said. "Wow," she said. "Hey Susie," Ben said. "Hey. Oh, it's so nice to see you. How's Debbie," she asked. "Great," Ben responded. " Great," she said back.

   "How've you been," Reed asked very awkwardly. "Never better," she answered quickly and shook his hand. "This isn't going to be a problem, is it," Von Doom asked. "No, not at all," Reed and Sue said at the same time. Reed bargained out a deal with Victor Von Doom then Sue showed us the way out. I zoned out for a little while until Ben nudged be and cleared his throat. "As far as crew, I was hoping Ben could pilot," Reed said. "We already have a pilot on payroll, but your welcome to ride shotgun," Sue said, "you remember my brother Johnny." Just great I have to spend days in space with the person who caused me to move away from my home of New York. Johnny Storm.