When Lucas asked why, she had merely dodged his question and changed the topic. He made a mental note to encourage her to exert more effort into her school work. Lucas knew that she wasn't the type that liked to be pushed, so he'd make sure to do so lightly. He just couldn't let Maya waste her potential; she was destined for great things.

"You're very smart, you know that?"

At this, Maya looked up, her eyes a little wide and alarmed from his words. Lucas grinned softly at her and Maya rolled her eyes with an obnoxious snort. "Yeah, thanks." She responded, her voice coated with sarcasm.

"I'm serious." Lucas nudged her gently. "You shouldn't doubt yourself so much."

Maya tore her gaze away before mumbling quietly, "Thanks."

"Do you think we could be... study partners?" Lucas asked, fidgeting with his stationary.

"Okay, now you're pushing it." Maya chuckled.

"Why, is it that crazy of an idea?"

"It's just..." Maya's eyes wandered to the ceiling, searching for the right words. "It's not me."

"What's not you?"

"The being-good-at-school thing."

"Why can't it be?" Lucas asked, Maya sighing at his constant questioning.

"I'm just not like that. Alright?" Maya stared blankly in front of her, her lips forming a straight line.

"Then what are you like?"

Maya sighed another time. "What do you think," she glanced at him.

"I think you are whoever you want to be." Lucas' eyes swept over her face, observing it. "I think you're more than that rebellious front."

"Well don't think you know everything about me now." Maya shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

"I'm just saying," Lucas smiled. "Don't hide how great you are." Without really thinking about it, he reached forward and placed an encouraging hand on her knee.

Maya jumped from his touch. "Okay, um," she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I should go now. It's getting kind of dark out."

"Yeah," Lucas glanced out his window. "Seriously though, we should study together."

She was about to remind him that studying was a Lucas and Riley thing—but Maya knew she couldn't bring up Riley right now.

"As long as there are snacks." Maya shrugged with a grin, standing up to stretch before packing away her things. She swung her bag over her shoulder and left his room, Lucas in tow.

When they walked down the stairs, they heard people in the kitchen. The voices were raised and argumentative, but low in volume as to not draw attention.

"It's not - oh, hi, Maya." Lisa's demeanour shifted as she caught the two teens lurking in the shadows of the hallway. There was a man in front of her, who then spun around.

Maya froze.

He looked just like Lucas. Except older, maybe less benevolent. The man didn't smile in greeting as one would when meeting somebody for the first time.

"Hi, Mrs. Friar." Maya responded meekly, glancing to her side at Lucas. A strained silence overtook the atmosphere.

"I don't believe you two have met," Lisa smiled—a much different one from her usual ones, gesturing to the man. "This is Lucas' father."

"H - Hi, I'm Maya. I'm a friend of Lucas." Maya slowly approached him, trying her best to seem polite. She extended her right hand and there was a tense pause before he took it, giving it a firm shake.

"Benjamin Friar." His voice was deep, sonorous. "That's sir to you."

Before Maya could say anything else, Lisa chimed in. "Will you be joining us for dinner, Maya?"

"Um, I'll have to pass. My mom is expecting me." Maya grinned civilly. Her gaze unwillingly drifted to the towering man in front of her, only to discover his cold stony grey eyes staring back.

"You have a good night, then." Lisa waved at her, flashing her pearly whites.

Lucas slid his hand in hers and led her down the hallway, straight towards the front door. Maya could still feel a pair of eyes burning holes into her back. There was something very unsettling about that man. And his uncanny resemblance to Lucas made it all the more daunting.

"So I'll see you at school," Lucas leaned against the doorway, a small smile stretching across his lips but not reaching his eyes.

"Yeah," Maya lingered at his doorstep. "Good night, Huckleberry."

.

.

.