"Some girl got raped over on Fulton and North Avenue.  Somebody close to them.  They came over asking about it and shit".  Meech began to fidget his feet and focused on a small rock near his shoe.

"The fuck yall got to do with that?" Akoni yelled.

"I don't know.  They were just asking."  Meech kicked the small rock into the street.

"If they were just asking, how the fuck yall end up beefing out front Bull's bar?" Akoni tilted his head slightly toward the door's window, waiting for Meech to answer.

"Redd don't get along with Barlof.  They started yelling at each other until Bull came out there." Meech looked up at Akoni.

"Tell that muthafucka to come here".  Akoni looked up at the house.  Rasheeda was still standing in the doorway.  

Akoni and St. James watched Meech walk over to the tall young man.  Redd looked over at Akoni and glanced at Meech.  

"Remember what I said", Meech grabbed Redd by the arm.  "I don't want Akoni knowing shit. Alright?"  Meech asked searching Redd's face for confirmation.

"Man I could give two fucks about what you and them muthafucka's got going on".  He snatched his arm away and walked to the end of the curb to the Escalade.  Akoni unlocked the car doors.

"Get in.  I want you to ride with me real quick."  Akoni said observing Redd from his head to his feet.

Redd looked at the two men inside the truck hesitantly.  He stared at the two of them with his face frowned in a scowl.

"What you scared nigga?"  Akoni and St. James began to laugh.

"I ain't never scared."  Redd hopped in the backseat of the truck.

"Yo, I think you better go inside and holla at Rasheeda real quick", St. James nodded toward the house.  Rasheeda had the door open with one hand while her other hand rested on her hip.  Her nostrils were flared and her lips were tight.

"Keep my man's company.  I gotta handle something real quick".  Akoni looked over at St. James and stepped out the truck.  He walked up to the steps past the young men and into the house.  Rasheeda was waiting for him in the living room tapping her long fingernails on an end table.

"Where the fuck have you been?"  She turned to him eyeing him up and down.

"I told you I had a job to take care of.  I had to leave that to take care of something at Unc's spot.  Some shit popped off and I ended up drinking and falling asleep at the bar".  Akoni stood in the floor watching her response.

"Did you go to see her?"  Rasheeda turned to him angrily with her arms folded.

"Rasheeda. I drove by there and never got out of the car.  I only sat for like 20 minutes or so.  After that, me and Saint left to go do the job." He sat next to her on the couch.

"You better not be lying to me Akoni.  The police called me earlier.  Told me they were coming by to question me.  Do you know what they talking about?" The presence of Akoni's body next to hers softened her voice and unfurled her twisted arms.  

"The job was in Silver Spring.  They probably spotted your car sitting there and ran the plates.   I didn't even get the chance to finish the job.  I had to leave and come back to Bmore.  If they ask, tell them the truth baby.  You don't know anything."  Akoni rubbed his thumb along her chin.

"I just don't want you to get hemmed up in some shit because of her".  Rasheeda tilted her face into Akoni's hand.

"Rasheeda, I care about her but I love you and I'm here with you.  Have I ever lied to you before?"  He nibbled on her bottom lip.

"No.  I guess not.  I believe you", she closed her eyes and embraced the softness of his lips.

"I gotta leave Baby.  I need to find out something.  If I am not back when the police get here, I'll be at Bull's Joint." Akoni continued to nibble and kiss her lips.

Rasheeda sucked through her teeth, "Again.  You're leaving again Akoni?", she pulled away from him with a look of disgust.

"Rasheeda, on everything, I will be home tonight."  He placed his hands in between her thighs and rubbed his fingers against her warmth.

"Don't make me wait up for you Akoni", she leaned back in the chair as he caressed her softness.

"I promise".  He kissed her on her forehead and walked out the door.

Rasheeda got up and shook the chills that had run up her spine off.  She walked outside and watched Akoni leave with St. James and Redd.  Meech and his friends were outside talking.

"Rasheeda.  I'm leaving out too but I will be back later" Meech looked up at his sister and grabbed his cell phone.

"Where are you going?"  Rasheeda looked at him skeptically.

"I got a job interview!" he yelled as they walked down the street.

"Boy Bye!" Rasheeda rolled her eyes and went in the house.

As the young men walked, Meech held his phone to his ear waiting for the caller to answer.

" Yea What's up Barloff?  I can get you what you want but you gotta make sure I eat, ya feel me?  Okay. Good, I holla at you in a few".  Meech hung up the phone and began to scroll through his call log.

"Hello?" A soft voice answered.

"What's up Olive?  It's Meechie. We need to talk."