chapter thirty one

r e c o r d s h o p

L U K E

"I feel like I'm not being very useful here,"

"Huh, really?" Birdie placed her hands on her hips and scrunched up her nose.

"That's strange, because I was just thinking that same thing," she shrugged, but despite her mocking words, she had a small smile gracing her face.

Luke couldn't refrain himself from staring at the beautiful girl in front of him. He didn't even hear what she was saying, then, because he was too interested in watching the way her lips moved to form the words she spoke. Luke thought the smile she had on her face while she spoke made her even more beautiful than ever.

"Luke!" She laughed, "are you even listening?"

Grinning, he shook his head and smiled sheepishly, "no..."

She shook her head, "you are unbelievable," she began to walk out of the room.

"Thank you!" He called after her, and he heard her yell from down the hall.

"It wasn't a compliment!"

He just laughed and walked out of the room that they were unpacking some of Birdie's stuff in, following her to wherever she was going. It didn't matter, because all he wanted was her, no matter where they were.

He saw her sitting Indian-style on the floor in her oversized flannel, which was actually Luke's, leggings, and fuzzy white socks that went up to above her ankles as she dug through one of her boxes.

"You look pretty, baby."

"You're just saying that so that I won't be mad that you said you would help, but decided to distract me instead," he couldn't see her face, but he knew that she was smiling as she spoke.

"Maybe...but it helps that you really do look pretty, Hummingbird."

"Hmm, I was beginning to think I'd never hear that nickname again," she stood up and turned to Luke and walked towards him, pulling him onto the couch so that she could lay on top of him.

"Really? It's practically your legal name at this point, babe," he laughed and she laughed with him, squeezing his waist.

"True, true. Just didn't know if you'd still use it."

Shrugging, she snuggled in closer to Luke, rubbing her nose against the space between his neck and his collar bone, as she smiled softly.

"You're my favorite person to cuddle with. Well, really the only person I'd ever willingly cuddle with, but you get my point." She spoke quietly, trying not to disturb the peace of the moment.

"I've cuddled with my fair share of stuffed penguins, you know, but out of all of the stuffed penguins in the world, you're my favorite thing to cuddle with."

She giggled, "you've cuddled with that many stuffed penguins? Where'd my big bad, tough boyfriend go?"

"I've never been tough, love."

They both laughed at Luke's expense, and it was quiet for a moment, before Luke spoke up again.

"Boyfriend?"

"Well, I don't know, I just figured-"

"I know. You pretty much are my girlfriend, too, but I just realized that I never formally asked you to be."

"That's okay, Luke."

"No, I don't think so. I feel like you deserve a lot more."

"What's considered a lot more?" She lifted her head off of his chest and looked up at him. He thought for a moment on what actually would be considered a lot more, or at least enough for his girl.

"Oh! I know! Wait here!"

She moved off of Luke, watching as he ran into the hall and disappeared, wondering what he was doing.

hello everyone!

this chapter sort of developed birdie and luke's playful part of their relationship.

i feel like they haven't been able to develop that part of their relationship as much as they should, so this chapter highlights them being themselves and being happy with each other!

anyway, i think this will be the second to last chapter.

i hope you loved this book as much as i did, truly.

question of the chapter:
what do you think luke ran into the hall for? how will he show hummingbird how much more she deserves?

i had the last of my finals today, and i got a 98 on one, and the other hasn't been graded yet. oh my i hope i got an A because then i have gotten As in every class all year and in every exam.

anyway, that's all for now.

thank you so much for reading.

i love you all.

-a <3