chapter five

r e c o r d  s h o p

L U K E

All night Luke couldn't stop thinking about Hummingbird and the bruise that covered her face.

She said she had run into a door, but Luke didn't know if he believed her or not. Luke was a very clumsy person and had run into many doors, but he's never sported a bruise that big. 

He had a gut feeling that it was more than just her running into a door. If her running into a door actually was the case, then she wouldn't have been so keen on hiding it from the boy. Right? He didn't know, but he knew that he wanted her to be okay.

Luke had fallen asleep at three in the morning, which gave him three and a half hours of sleep. Hearing his alarm go off at six thirty in the morning almost made him cry. Almost.

He wanted to sleep in so bad, but he knew he couldn't. He had twenty minutes to get ready and then a ten minute walk to get to work. He had already woken up as late as he could.

The only thing that got him out of the door on time was the thought of Hummingbird standing in the shop, humming while looking through the various records.

Luke started to worry about himself and how much he liked this girl after only knowing her for five days. Was it too soon to want her to be his? Again, he was back to the dilemma he had previously thought about. He barely knows anything about the girl who comes to his record shop everyday.

Today, Luke had been playing music on his own record player. It was mostly to keep him awake, but he also really loved music so it made his day a lot more enjoyable.

It was around one o'clock when Hummingbird came into the shop. She, obviously, still had the black eye, but today there was a cut on her now swollen lip as well.

"Hummingbird?"

"Hey, record boy. How are you?" She spoke with a slight lisp now.

"Not too great, but I'm fine compared to you. What happened?"

"Huh? Oh, nothing. Just ran into a door. I told you yesterday?" She said the last part of her reply like a question.

"Well yeah, but you didn't have a swollen and cut lip yesterday. You didn't run into a door two days in a row, and it surely wouldn't have messed you up that bad if you did."

"It's nothing, I swear."

He huffed, crossing his arms as he studied the girl. Was it bad that he wanted to call her his girl?

"How old are you?" He asked her.

"Um, eighteen. Why?"

"Just wondering."

"How old are you, record boy?"

"Twenty-two."

"Old man." She laughed at the sour face he pulled at her reply, "I should be calling you record man." She noticed his face hadn't changed from the sour expression and she laughed once more.

"I'm just kidding. I like the music you're playing, by the way. Blink-182. Nice."

After searching through the records for a bit, she picked up a Red Hot Chili Peppers album before heading to the counter.

"Red Hot Chili Peppers. Nice pick, Hummingbird."

"Thank you very much, record boy. I'll see you around."

She turned to walk out of the store after paying.

"Hey, wait."

She turned around with a raised eyebrow. He walked around to the front of the counter, leaning against it.

"You know I'll always be there for you, right? If you need anything I'm always here. I've got your back."

She started walking towards Luke, speeding up as she got closer. She threw her arms around his neck, pulling his body close to hers.

"Thank you, record boy." She kissed his neck right above his collar bone, giving the boy goosebumps. He hugged her tighter, pulling her impossibly closer, while he breathed in her scent. She smelled like vanilla.

She gave him her phone number before she left, both of them smiling widely.

merry christmas eve eve!

i hope you enjoyed this chapter.

thoughts on the myt tour live??
im listening to that and youngblood and just getting v sad because i couldn't afford to go see them :(

very happy that they came out with the live album because at least i can listen to that.

thank you for reading!

-a <3