chapter twenty seven

r e c o r d  s h o p

L U K E

The next day, Luke and Hummingbird woke up in each other's arms on the floor.

Their bodies both ached and they could both feel the prominent pain in their muscles, but waking up drowned in the scents of each other ensured that they both had small smiles lining their faces. Even with the marks that the smiles would produce later on in life, and maybe sooner for the pair, they didn't mind, because those marks would show how happy they were with each other.

Even on a day filled with anxiety and worry that was paired with a night all same, with added yelling and tears, they both had found comfort in the arms of the other, and it was something that neither of them wanted to give up.

Despite the struggles surrounding the two, somehow they formed their own perfect shield of a bubble with them encased inside. Now, they were spending their day--after work, of course--cuddled on the infamous couch and listening to lovelytheband on Luke's record player.

"Hey Hummingbird?"

"Hey Luke."

"Where'd you even go?"

"Please don't be mad."

"I don't think I can promise that one, hun," he said with a light chuckle. He was just trying to keep the situation light. Especially because all of their recent ones had been filled with sadness or anger.

"Well..." she paused, "Iwenttomydad's." She rushed out the words so fast that Luke almost didn't understand them.

Until he did.

It went up in flames from there.

"You went where?" He thought he heard her just fine, but maybe he was just hearing things. He was just wishfully thinking, but he was really hoping she was just joking.

"Um, I went to my dad's. To try and get my stuff, you know? But it didn't exactly work out."

Luke was trying not to yell. He understood why Hummingbird didn't want him to, because it was probably all she heard when she was living where she used to, and it most likely wasn't followed with a kind touch. Maybe the exact opposite.

After taking a few deep breaths and calming himself down, he forced himself to listen to her.

"What happened? Why weren't you home until so late at night?"

"Well, um, I-" she cut herself off with a shake of her head, and she untangled her hands from around Luke's tense body.

Lifting up her shirt slightly, with a wince, Luke swore he almost marched out the door and straight to her old house at the sight. Bruises were lining her ribs and stomach, purple mixed with blue in such an ugly way that only she could make beautiful. Still, it wasn't right. Those marks didn't belong there.

"Oh God," he ran his fingertips in a ghostly touch over her new marks, frowning and quickly pulling his fingers away when she winced.

"You shouldn't have gone without me..." he said in a low whisper.

"I just didn't want to drag you into anything. I maybe should've left a note or something so you'd know I was okay, but I wasn't planning on being there so long. I kind of passed out a little bit,"

If it was any other situation, he would've laughed at the line 'passed out a little bit,' because how do you just pass out a little bit?

Instead, he shook his head, frowning. He had nothing to say. He didn't know what to say.

He suddenly felt so tired, and the soft music still playing in the background wasn't helping his case.

So, he silently and softly, took her waist in his hands and pulled her into him, laying them both down on the couch. He kissed her forehead lightly, letting a light sigh out of his lips as they relaxed into each other.

They would talk in a little while.

hi im sad because this book is ending soon :(

also i loved this chapter sm

question of the chapter is:

do you think what luke did at the end was right? to push off he conversation?

thank you all for reading!

i love you all so much!

-a <3