038. newt; imagine ¹⁰

newts pov;

seeing y/n with the new greenie only a month after he has come up hurts. but she's happy, she's smiling, she's laughing. point is, if she is happier with him then she was with me, i am fine with that, as long as i see joy in her beautiful eyes. i still love her, if i don't make it obvious enough, i'm not going to lie to myself about it because i know it is true. i don't know if i will ever stop missing her hugs, her laugh, her everything. just her being mine for a month of my life made me the happiest man alive. but now she's with him, the greenie, thomas.

a voice behind me snaps me out of my thoughts.
"newt?" it's thomas. i turn on my heels trying not to look jealous.
"yeah tommy?" i ask leaning on my shovel, the smell of manure lingering faintly in the air from across the gardens.
"you and y/n-" i tune out. my heart skips slightly as i hear her name, maybe i am really never going to get over her.
"hm?" i ask, flashing back to reality.
"were you guys... you know? a thing?" he repeats, looking my directly in the eyes, provoking an answer from a place i don't want to go.

"mm" i nod, avoiding his gaze as much as possible. he looks slightly taken aback, but not jealous like i had expected. he opens his mouth to say something, like an apology? i don't know. i don't care
"just take care of her tommy. alright? please?" he nods his head vigorously.
"of corse newt nothing less than the best"

y/n comes up beside thomas looking at us both as i wish myself not to say anything stupid. i smiles at her, and she smiles back.

tucking her hair behind her ear, the afternoon sun dipping behind the tall maze walls, illuminating her eyes, her skin glowing in the golden gloom. she pulls me into a hug, something i've missed. craved, even.

maybe i can't love her like i wish i could, but i can love her like a friend. her best friend, maybe. i can love her in that way, and that is satisfactory for me.