Carl Grimes: Strange Things Did Happen Here(Part 1)

I straight up refuse to accept hes dead, its just, nope didn't happen. So I'm going to continue to write him into the story :)

You looked out at the town; the dead wandering around, this heard was different. You had come across so many before and it just wasn't like the others but you couldn't quite place your finger on what made it different not then. But now you could...

You hadn't seen the heard at first, you were wandering down the highway swinging you axe at your side and munching a chocolate bar that you had found. It was far past it's best before date but it was a welcome change from mushrooms and cans of whatever you could find. You had been so distracted by the chocolate bar that you hadn't noticed the heard in the treeline to your left stalking you. It moved quieter than any heard you'd come across before it moved far enough in the treeline that the moans and footsteps where drowned out but the autumn breeze blowing through the dry leaves overhead. When the dead spotted the living they move towards them instantly and not quietly either, you could always spot them because they came crashing out the treeline arms outstretched and teeth tapping together. You could dispose of them swiftly and quietly with you axe.

You weren't sure what had made you look out of the corner of your eye, perhaps it was instinct or the sense of being watched or perhaps something caught your eye. But you glanced left for no more than a second and your breath caught in your throat and you heart hammered in your chest, you almost stopped dead in the middle of the road. There was a heard a large one wandering parallel to the road, you couldn't tell how many there were as the forest and foliage was relatively thick but you could tell that there was a fair few. You breath quickened as your fight or flight instinct kicked in, you didn't even have time to stop and wonder how the hell they hadn't smelt you or seen you or even just wandered into your path, the only thing you could think about was getting away.

Your brain whirred as you tried to remember what the sign had said about half a mile back, something about a town being up ahead but you couldn't remember how far. You pace quickened to a quick walk as you began to panic putting your axe in your belt. Then your pace quickened into to a jog before you were sprinting full pelt down the road. Your boots hit the pavement in loud thumps and your muscles protested as you had already been walking for the best part of a day. The autumn heat beat down relentlessly on your back it felt like you had been running forever when the town emerged from round a bend. However you didn't stop running until you were in the centre of a town.

The second you stopped your legs gave out and your knees and hands smashed down onto the pavement you breathed deeply staring at the cracked black ground beneath you and you fought back the urge to throw up. Sighing, you lifted your hands from the floor and placed them on your knees before tilting your head towards the sky and taking in big gups of air closing your eyes.

Suddenly a shadow was cast across you; you opened your eyes quickly reaching for your axe to swing.

"Wait!" cried a voice.

The voice surprised you as your head snapped in the direction it came from. There was a boy standing about 2 feet away from you in a cowboy hat his arms outstretched towards you in a defensive manor, his eyes glued to your half holstered axe at your waist. He didn't have a weapon drawn so you slowly lifted your hands from your weapon and put them in the air near your head indicating you weren't a threat.

"Why were you running?" he asked looking down at you. The sun was low in the sky behind him so his face was in the shadows you couldn't make out any distinct features.

You too a second to consider your answer, you yourself didn't fully understand what had just happened so there was little chance you would be able to tell him.