Carl Grimes: Unexpected

You tapped lightly on the door and drew a shallow breath in and listened. Your eyes darted around the front garden of the house and out into the street as you waited for any indication that there was either undead in the house or in your surrounds.

No noise as far as you could tell came from the inside of the house, you couldn't really hear anything but the quiet rustle of the late autumn leaves along the pavement and grass. You twisted the door handle slowly, noticing the scratch marks in the wood, walkers had certainly been here at some point trying to get inside. You swallowed and pushed the door open. It creaked loudly making your cringe as you snapped your arms up pointing your gun in front of you ready to shoot anything that appeared. The house didn't stir.

You swallowed and lowered your gun taking a glance out at the street before closing the door slowly attempting to prevent it from squeaking again. You pushed your back against the door until you heard the audible click of it closing. You stopped to listen briefly again before walking deeper into the house.

First you went through the house slowly gun raised in front of you checking every possible nook and cranny that the undead or otherwise could be hiding in. that bit always freaked you out, the overwhelming fear of turning a corner to be confronted by a walker that hadn't heard you to begin with or worse another person hiding in the house.

Half and hour later you were finally satisfied that the house was well and truly empty, you relaxed a little and put your gun back in it holster before beginning your second sweep of the house. This time for food. The cupboards were bare just as you ad suspected all that you could find was 2 cans of mixed vegetables and some long stale crackers that were hidden away at the back of the pots and pans cupboard. You opened one of the 2 tins and started eating it as you walked to the living room.

You wandered over to the mantle piece and looked at the dusty yellowing photos that were still siting there untouched. You placed your half eaten tin onto the mantle and leaned forward to inspect one of the photos, you raised your hand and wiped the dust off of it.

Something caught your eye in the reflection of the glass your eyes grew wide as you reached for your gun.

"Don't even think about it" said the man who was standing in the doorway of the Livingroom, you heard an audible click as he turned the safety off of the gun he was pointing at you.

You slowly raised your eyes still fixated on the refection, your heart hammed in your chest as you tried to read his expression.

"Turn around slowly" he said.

You slowly turned trying your best to not make any sudden movements that could set him off, once you had turned towards him you made eye contact with him. The expression on his face turned from one that was harsh and demanding to one of shock, which was mirrored by you. He was a guy about the same age as you, he had brilliant blue eyes that stood out from the shadow that was cast by his cowboy hat.

"Don't move" he said stepping towards you slowly gun still pointed at you. His had went to your side and slowly took your gun out of your holster before placing it in the back of his trousers. "Do you have anything else?"

"No just some cans of vegetables and some stale crackers" you replied your eyes fixated on him both in fear and curiosity.

He seemed to relax slightly so you spoke again in an attempt to ease that tension.

"My names Y/n by the way"

His lips curled into a small cute smile as he let out a breath, you felt the tension dissipate as he opened his mouth to speak again.

"I'm Carl"

"Nice to meet you Carl, now would you mind lowering that gun I don't really fancy dying today" you said trying to sound calm but the traces of fear in your voice were clearly audible.