Keita pt 2 (alternative ending)

The night you left, Keita cried himself to sleep. You weren't just his girlfriend, you were also his best friend. He had never experienced heartbreak worse than the one he felt when he watched you walk away from him.

The following morning he woke up feeling terrible. He had a headache from all the crying and he could tell his eyes were puffy without having to look in the mirror. Regardless of this, he got out of bed and started getting ready.

Keita was going to confess to Hayami today. He had been waiting for this day but now that it was here, why did he feel so gross?

Disregarding his doubts, he left the dorms to go meet her. He had lost you over his crush so if he would get rejected by Hayami, he would have driven you out of his life for nothing. He couldn't let that happen.

Soon Keita arrived at a cafe and walked in. He walked over to the counter to meet an overly excited employee who talked to him even after finishing the drink Keita had ordered. The cashier's words went through his ears but didn't reach his brain, he was zoned out. He was beating himself up for how he had hurt you.

Keita thought he'd feel relieved after breaking up with you but he just felt guilty instead and heartless. He had led you on, letting you think everything was fine between you two. Then ripped your heart out mercilessly. He had never hated himself the way he was now. He only snapped out of his thought when the cashier kept waving a hand in front of his face.

"Excuse me, I have other customers..." The man smiled apologetically.

Keita thanked him and walked to the table Hayami was sitting at. He smiled at her when their eyes met.

"Morning!" He said as he sat down in front of her.

"Good morning, Keita." Her eyes scanned his appearance and she looked at him with a curious gaze. She could tell he had been crying, "I was quite surprised when you asked me to have breakfast with you." She still had enough respect for him not to ask him about it.

"Really? I just have something to tell you," He looked down but she urged him to continue "I like you." He looked up to see her reaction. She was very shocked.

"What? I... I don't know what to say." Perhaps it was the fact that she'd only woken up a while before or then it was the feeling of guilt in her chest. She'd known about you, his girlfriend the whole time. Whatever it was was overwhelming and she couldn't think properly.

"Do you like me or not?" Keita was impatient, he knew he was trying to move on from you too quickly but he had to. He could never go back to you. You deserved more.

"I do... but it isn't right. You have a girlfriend. I've never met her but from what I've heard, she's a good person and doesn't deserve this." Hayami confessed while fiddling with her hands. She tried to put herself into your shoes, how bad must you be hurting?

"We broke up. I broke up with her last night. It's all taken care of." He desperately tried but he could see the pitiful look in Hayami's eyes.

"I'm sorry, Keita. I can't do that to her, to you. You're clearly not in a place to be dating anyone else yet." Hayami took one last sip of her hot chocolate before getting up and grabbing her coat. She placed one hand on his shoulder, "I hope you make it right with her." She smiled sadly and walked out.

Hayami walked out just like you had the night before. Keita thought he'd feel relieved seeing you walk out the night before but why was he feeling relieved watching Hayami walk away from him now? Make it right with her. Could he really?

Keita walked home, not even aware of his surroundings because he was so lost in thought. He'd lost you and he'd lost Hayami. He wanted to run back to you. Not because he'd been rejected and you were his second choice but because he couldn't stop replaying the sight of you walking away from him. He couldn't stand the idea of you walking out of his life and not returning. He wanted to go back to you so bad, but he knew you deserved so much more.