Yunseo

It was that day of the year again. A sports competition between the two rival schools. It happened every fall and all the students other than some members of sports clubs hated it. But as it happened annually, most students had just accepted it, they didn't care anymore.

You were one of those students. You used to hate the sports competitions but now it was just meh. This year however, you had coincidentally broken your foot just before the competition and couldn't participate.

The day of the competition came and all the other students were getting warmed up on the sports ground. You could tell there were only a very few people who actually wanted to be there. All this happened while you were sipping on some hot tea on the side lines. That day's classes were cancelled and you weren't taking part (but the teachers insisted you still had to come to school) so you had nothing better to do. You had dressed up in warm clothes and had a thermos with your favorite hot drink.

Soon a couple buses filled with students more or less your age drove into the parking lot. The students poured out and joined the students from your school. The rivalry was stupid and it was only between the teachers. During the warmups and the actual competition, the kids from both schools had a great time conversing together and making friends, it was only the teachers who got super competitive.

The event was starting off with the 100m race and you realized that it wasn't so bad. As long as you didn't have to participate in running or other sports, it wasn't so bad.

You were deep in thought when you heard someone greet you from beside you. Your head whipped around in surprise. Next to you was a boy, probably around your age.

"Oh, hi." You awkwardly greeted him but his smile only widened. He had a beautiful smile.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I'm Yunseo." He laughed. How was he so comfortable talking to someone who was just a stranger to him? You couldn't relate.

"It's okay, I'm Y/n." You smiled though it might've looked slightly fake. You weren't that good at making friends.

"I see your foot is broken, is that why you aren't taking part?" He asked. Is he talking to me out of pity? Is he just being nice?

"It is. I'm not too mad about it though, it's not really my thing anyway..." You laughed and waited for him to reply. He nodded his head at your answer but frowned himself.

"I really like sports, I was excited for this years competition. I was going to compete in archery but since I fractured my wrist, I can't." Yunseo looked sad and you felt bad for him.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize some people actually liked this event..." You said before thinking. When you did you looked over at him to see him looking at you with wide eyes. You thought he was mad at you but instead, he burst out laughing.

"You're funny, I like you." He said between giggles. You were still flustered over what you yourself had said and his comment was not helping.

Throughout the day, you and Yunseo stayed together. You had so much fun with him. You cheered for your own teams, watched the competitions and talked about yourselves. By the end of the day you felt like you'd known him for years.

You were extremely sad when his class was called over to one of the buses after the competition ended.

"Well, I think it's time to say goodbye." You said, hoping you didn't seem to sad. Yunseo was friends with everyone, he probably wouldn't even keep contact with you after this. He was with you only because everyone else was busy with the competition.

"Don't say that, goodbye sounds too depressing." Yunseo pouted at you and you couldn't fight against the smile that was threatening to appear on your face.

"What should I say then?"

"Maybe... 'See You tomorrow'" Yunseo asked with a shy yet hopeful grin.

"What do you mean?" You already knew what he meant but you couldn't believe it so you needed him to spell it out for you.

"Let's go out tomorrow. Get some bubble tea or something. Whatever you'd like. How does that sound?" He was now a nervous wreck, couldn't even look at you in the eye. So different from the confident boy you met that morning.

You laughed, "I'd love to." Now you seemed like the confident one. Oh, how the tables have turned.

"Jang Yunseo! You're walking back to school if you're not here within a minute!" A loud yell came from right outside the bus. It was his homeroom teacher, a strict yet gentle middle aged woman.

"Here, please give me your number!" Yunseo handed you his phone with a panicked expression on his face. You typed out your number and saved it onto his phone.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Yunseo." You smiled at him and waved as he rushed to the bus. You could see him wave back excitedly from the window as the vehicle started moving. What a cutie.