Chapter Four

The front door opens and the witch steps out. "Time to eat." She tells us. Cooper and I hurry inside, both of us hungry. In the kitchen yet again there are two plates, this time with what I'm guessing is beef. I scarf the food down. Cooper and I sit up as the witch takes away our plates. "Cooper, Ash, meet me in the lounge."

Cooper and I both look at each other before sitting in front of the couch, waiting for the witch.

The witch sat down yet again and took out the same folder from last night.

"Cooper, you have a new target." The witch said, putting a piece of paper with a picture of a man on it, similar to the one she gave me about Isabelle. "His name is John Avery. His wife thinks he's cheating on her." The witch explained. Cooper immediately looked over the sheet.

"Ash. I already knew Isabelle was cheating on her husband with James Lodden, but I needed to make sure you weren't going to give me too much trouble. After we wrap up the business with Isabelle Clark, you have another target." She said. I wasn't surprised she had tested me, but I had nothing to gain by lying to her. The witch handed me another piece of paper.

This photo was of a man.

"Someone thinks he has relapsed and is gambling again and you need to watch him. If he leaves, follow him." The witch demanded. She stood up.

"Both of you be ready at 7." The witch said before leaving.

His name is Jaeden Farbank and he is thirty-seven. He has a wife and two twin sons. Lately the wife has noticed their finances fluctuating and her husband seems distracted. He works as a builder and right now he's working on the new hospital. I committed his face to memory. I was thirsty so I got up to get a drink.

I went to the water bowl the witch had laid out on the floor.

It is humiliating to be treated like a common house cat. Not only do I have to eat off of the floor, but the bathroom is warded. Cooper and I have to share a LITTER BOX. The witch magics it clean but it is still disgusting. Is this a way for the witch to rub her superiority in our faces? Degrade us as some sort of emotional manipulation? The more I think about it the more it sounds plausible. I have heard of kidnappers doing similar things to their victims. I am more than just a common house cat. I have to remember this. If I'm going to keep my sanity and escape.

That night I have trouble sleeping again. I keep waking up at the slightest sounds of the wind in the trees. Yet again the sun rose too early. Cooper and I both got up and stretched before we made our way around the house to the front door. I followed Cooper in through the cat door and yet again both the witch and her kid were eating breakfast together.

"I have ensemble today." the boy was telling his mother. "Wonderfull, what pieces are you all working on now?" The witch asks. "Pachbell's Canon in D and Drowsy Maggie." He replied excitedly. Cooper and I silently made our way to the lounge to wait. Sure enough not too long after the witch looked over and saw us watching her before disappearing and coming back with two cat carriers. She opened them up and both Cooper and I dutifully walked in like pigs to slaughter. Again the ride was silent except for the quiet classical music playing from the radio. The witch dropped Cooper off first, not too far away from where she stopped the car. The witch got out and approached the back door. She opened the back door and the carry cage before stepping back to let me out. I was relieved to be out of the small cage. The witch crouched down in front of me, making me feel uncomfortable with how close her face was to mine. She produced a collar and a small folded piece of paper.

"Hold still while I put these on." She demanded. I held still while she put her hands around my neck. It suddenly occurred to me how easily she could snap my neck and end my life right here.