Chapter Twenty-Eight

The rain was insane. Earlier, the clouds grew greyer and darker, threatening to storm. When the first few drops fell, it was a soft pattering on the roof. Minutes later, it was a downpour. Glancing outside from the dry office, it was almost as black as night. The rain was not single droplets, but a sheet of water. A powerful waterfall from the heavens.

Afternoon hours ticked by and the rain never let up. When it was time for me to leave, I stood at the window near the front door. My arms wrapped around my shoulders.

Morgan stepped out of his office, his heavy boots ambled to where I stood. "You'll want to make a dash for it. When it rains like this, it won't stop."

It was only six o'clock but it looked like it could be near midnight with the heavy, plump rain clouds. "I've never seen so much rain."

"From the Waste, I wouldn't expect it." Morgan put his hands in his pockets, studying the main street. The buildings on the other side were barely visible. "Our rain comes from the ocean. We mostly get storms during this season."

"When will it stop raining like this?" I looked up at Morgan.

He scanned the street and turned from the window. "In a day."

"A day?"

Morgan nodded. "You can take tomorrow off, it will be too wet to walk anywhere. Go straight home, on days like this food is brought to the houses."

I said my goodbye and opened the door. Outside the rain was loud. It sounded like a waterfall crashing into the river; the splattering against the metal roofs was a high pitched ticking.

Walking underneath the roofs of the storefronts, I made my way toward the church. The white building was barely seen in the darkness and rain. Before me, there was a break between buildings. To my right was the alley that Ben and I stood in last night. Down the narrow space, I saw a person.

"April?" I called.

April jumped back, out of the arms of a man I didn't see until she had moved. It was clear she wasn't expecting to have anyone find her as she turned and the man was ready to bolt down the alley.

"It's just me," I said. Stepping closer to them but not getting into the rain.

April's wet red hair plastered to her face and her dress damp and sagged. "Oh, Mel." She glanced at the man. "It's okay, she's a friend."

I looked at the man who was about our age. His blond hair was plastered to his forehead. The top of his shirt undone. A chilled breeze brushed past us and I watched April's body shiver.

"We should get home. Mama will wonder about us," April said. She turned to the man, said words I could not hear. He nodded and licked his lips several times, a nervous tick. The glance he gave me told me enough, he wasn't sure about me. He had no reason to be anxious of me. Nodding once more, he trudging down the alley, away from us.

"Come on," April stepped on to the other platform, waiting for me in front of the other storefronts. I jumped into the rain, dodged the water puddles and was under a roof once more.

"This rain is horrible," I said, glancing over to April as we walked. Red stained her cheeks. She was still embarrassed by me spotting them. Honestly, they were just kissing. Not making out. "I won't tell anyone."

April peered at me with worried eyes. "You won't?"

"Why would I? It's none of my business." Her face did not ease up, she looked more worried. "What is it?"

"That was Gary. He's one of the Men of Orion. We've been sweethearts for a while. But I do not have my father's blessing and he hasn't built a house yet."