21 | Smells like trouble

Start from the beginning

Kelly gave me a blank look and merely shrugged. I looked around the streets for any decent coffee shop. Starbucks was shit so I ruled that out. I scanned the row of shops across the road and found a quirky shop.

"Let's go," I urged and crossed the road without looking behind me. It wasn't until a car honked that I turned around only to find Kelly standing in the middle of the road.

I rushed to her side, ignoring the middle finger as the offended man drove passed us.

"What are you doing?!" I yelled and pulled her along without waiting for her response. She just followed my steps quietly as I pushed open the glass door and entered the shop.

I led her to the nearest table by the window and asked, "What do you want?"

She looked up and whispered, "Hot cocoa."

I grunted in response and stood in line while squinting at the menu board nailed to the wall behind the counter.

Since I was never a coffee fan, I hardly went to any coffee shop. Scratch that, I hardly went to any shop per se to fill my stomach. 7-11 got me covered in that department.

"Next."

I trudged forward, looked at the menu placed on the counter and ordered slowly, hoping I wouldn't trip on my words. "One hot cocoa and one Earl Grey."

"Hey, we meet again," a male voice called out.

My first instinct was to look behind me, only to find air staring back at me before realizing that greeting was meant for me. I turned my head back to the barista and saw familiar eyes staring back at me.

Lucas.

"Lucas, if that serves any memory," he waved limply as I remained muted.

"Right, I remember you." Who wouldn't when you're licking someone's yogurt off your thumb, I thought dryly.

"It's nice seeing you again. I've never gotten to see you around after that time," he replied with a beaming smile.

Can't say I feel the same.

"So, um...hot cocoa and Earl Grey," I reminded him again since he was showing no sign of making the drinks.

His cheeks flushed bright and he stammered, "Y-yeah. One hot cocoa and Earl Grey coming right up!"

I stepped aside at the waiting counter and shifted my weight back and forth on my toes and heels. His eagerness to see me again was starting to make me feel uncomfortable and the throbbing in my head returned.

Fucking great.

I glanced over my shoulder to check on Kelly, making sure she wasn't doing anything stupid like banging her head against the window. Instead, she just stared outside as the sky started to weep again. Raindrops started racing down the glass panels, slightly fogging up the windows.

"Adrian."

Jerking my head back, I saw Boy Toy settling down my drinks on a tray. I muttered my thanks and hurriedly retrieved my drinks.

Boy Toy cleared his throat before I could leave. "There's something I need to tell you."

I groaned internally as my feet itched to escape.

"Your mom and I... We-we broke up," he continued.

I frowned, unsure of why this news concerned me and why he felt the need to explain.

He opened his mouth again only to close it back as if he was having second thoughts.

Whatever words he wanted to say, he swallowed it down and waved, "I'll see you around then."

I grunted and left.

Guess I can't call him Boy Toy anymore.

Author's note

Is it weird that I write better and faster when I'm angry or sad? My progress is slower than the slowest snail now because I've been feeling neutral these days. W(H)elp...

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you liked it, please consider clicking on the little star to vote :)

{Song: Uncomfortable by Wallows}