Chapter Fifty-Eight: The Older Uchiha.

Beth POV

The breeze brushed against the skin of my cheek, the warmth comforting. Taking in a deep breath, I absorbed all the scents of the forest. The smell of running water, the gentle freshness of the summer leaves, the subtle floral notes of freshly bloomed flowers. The morning dew still hung in the air, giving the area a slight humidity, but I didn't mind. For me, it was just nice to once again be outside the village. I had spent so much time in the confines of the village that I had found myself hungering for the freedom of the wilds. One of the few benefits of those years training under Orochimaru was the ability to spend most of my free-time outdoors, alone. Of course, many moments passed when I wanted nothing more than to sit down with one of my friends and have a conversation. But at the same time, I found solace in the quietness of the forest, the endlessness of the deserts, the heights of the mountains. I missed it. As much as I loved Konoha and the citizens who occupied it, sometimes I felt myself drawn to places beyond civilization.

I wasn't far from Konoha, a few hours when travelling at full speed, half a days stroll when travelling more leisurely. I had come across a few Konoha shinobi squads, either heading out or returning from missions. They didn't pay me any attention, my Konoha headband hidden by my black cloak. The headband was a reminder to all those around me that I was a loyal servant of the Land of Fire and the Hokage. Its visibility would cause other Konoha shinobi to question my undertakings and put me and the person I was travelling to meet, at risk.

Sasuke had reluctantly told me where Itachi had been hiding out since leaving the Akatsuki. Having been called upon by Lady Tsunade to undertake a short mission involving a gang of bandits in the Land of Fire, Sasuke was unable to deliver the bi-weekly resources that he provided his brother with to ensure he could remain hidden. I had volunteered to do it in Sasuke's place, and as a result I had become privy to Itachi's hideout location.

According to Sasuke it was an old Uchiha bunker, used for a hundred years as a sanctuary for Uchiha who needed a place of refuge. It was close enough to Konoha that it would allow village shinobi to come to the Uchiha's aid, yet far enough that it wasn't easily intercepted. In accordance to this, the entrance to the bunker was hidden behind a waterfall, two large boulders masking a small opening which led to the bunkers true location. It was a clever location for Itachi to hide in, close enough that Sasuke had ready access to him, whilst far enough away that there wasn't too high a risk of being seen.

As I reached the waterfall, I decided that I would take a short break. The mid-morning sun was high in the sky, shrouding the clearing in golden sunlight. It was a beautiful spot, a well known break point for many shinobi when returning home to the village. Shrugging off my cloak and most of my clothing, I jumped into the cool water of the spring. As I floated atop the surface of the water a memory flashed inside my mind. Near Orochimaru's hideout in the Land of Mist, was a beautiful natural hot spring. It was one of very few remaining natural hot springs which hadn't been turned into a bath house. I remembered spending days in and around the spring, training, relaxing, dreaming. I wondered if it was still the same.

I floated atop the cool water for about an hour before I got out and allowed myself to dry before continuing on my journey. Maybe one day I could return to the hot spring with Sasuke, when everything was over.

As I squeezed myself through the small opening between the two boulders I continued through the brush until I recognised the symbol of the Uchiha. It was high off the ground, nearly invisible to anyone who didn't know to look for it. But it meant I was getting close.

I continued along the trail until I found what I was looking for, a small doorway hidden by the vegetation of the forest. Summoning my chakra, I infused it into the palm of my hand before placing it on the doorway, immediately the door roared to life slowly creaking open. Lifting the door gently, I slide under the opening before descending down the stairs into the bunker.