Chapter Thirty-Nine: Trust.

Sasuke POV

The absence of Beth in my life had always had a strong impact on my state of mind. I hadn't realised the power she held over me until she was gone. Her decision to leave the village in order to protect me, still haunting me, causing me to contemplate whether she would ever do something like that again. These thoughts had begun to plague my thoughts, ever since she and I had fought a few weeks previous. I hated the power she possessed. The power to occupy my thoughts and drive my emotions. Hatred, anger, betrayal, frustration, love, devotion, companionship. All these emotions that resonated within me were somehow driven my Beth.

It was true, there was no one I cared for more than Beth. But lately it had become overwhelmingly apparent that the love we shared for one another wasn't healthy, for either of us. For me, the love I felt for her shifted so easily to betrayal and hate at the thought of having lost her, driving me to an unwavering thirst for revenge. For Beth, her devotion and love for me had driven her to put herself in a position where she would feel nothing but pain and suffering. We loved each other, but we also brought out the worst in one another, for me – rage, for Beth – self destruction.

The familiar sound of chirping birds filled my ears, announcing the oncoming dawn. I hadn't slept however, my thoughts acting as a stimulant relentless in its efforts to keep me aware. Sliding off of the bed and making my way towards the kitchen, I poured myself a glass of water, the cool liquid welcomed by my hoarse throat.

News had spread about the events of the Kage meeting the day before, the shinobi world buzzing with rumours of conflict and distrust amongst the foreign leaders and Beth. It had been suspected that the Raikage had been less then trustful when conversing with Beth, and that a conflict had ensued in regards to the information Beth had provided regarding the Akatsuki. Although usually uninterested in the gossip that run amok within the walls of the Leaf Village, this information held some merit. Beth was an unknown entity to other village leaders, and as such all they saw was a woman who had betrayed her village for Orochimaru. They knew not of her reasoning behind leaving, nor her eventual defeat of Orochimaru. They knew not of her constant contact with Gaara, leader of the Sand Village. They knew not of the demons she faced every day as a result of her capture and torture by Tobi.

I knew I would have to speak to Kakashi about the meeting in order to gain the truth. Beth had asked him and Tayuya to accompany her to the meeting, Tayuya's appearance at the meeting less then helpful in gaining the trust of the leaders, whilst Sakura had been accompanying the Hokage. I had scheduled to meet Kakashi for training and as such intended to discuss the matter of the meeting during that time. And so, after emptying my glass I got myself dress, grabbed my necessities, and headed out to the training grounds.

However, as I stepped outside of my apartment, the crunch of parchment erupted from under my foot. Glancing down I noticed an envelope placed on the doormat outside my apartments door. Picking up I noticed the envelope had both my name and Kakashi's name written on it. Instantly I recognised Beth's handwriting, the slender, angled letters easily recognisable. Ripping it open, the envelope held two pieces of parchment, one with my name on it and the other with Kakashi's. Grabbing the letter with my name written on it, I frantically opened it and begun reading.

Sasuke,

I know I promised I would never repeat my actions from four years ago, that the person who acted alone, unwilling to divulge such impulsive plans to those she cared about, was gone. Unfortunately, I can't say I kept that promise.

I love you Sasuke, that is the one thing I've always been certain of. However, I'm not the same person I once was, and until I can live in Konoha without fears of Tobi returning to take me back to that place, I can't live a normal life. I know you feel it too, that despite our best efforts, there is something that just keeps pulling us apart.