Chapter Fifty: The Choices We Make.

Beth POV

"What do you mean, she may never wake up?" I asked, the anger in my voice steadily growing.

"Beth you know what I–" Gaara started.

"No." I interrupted. "Not Tayuya." At that I immediately left the room, running towards the nearest nurses' station. The nurse on call was a young woman, not much older than myself I gathered. She had long brown hair tied into a neat bun, wearing the appropriate nurses uniform which was perfectly pressed.

"Tayuya, where is she? What room is she in?" I asked, frantically.

"Beth" Gaara called out, having followed me out of the room and into the hallway.

"Tell me where she is!" I yelled at the nurse. At first, she was unsure of how to respond, her eyes frantically moving between myself and Gaara, as if wondering who she should focus on. "Tell me where she is, or I start breaking things." At this the nurses' eyes widened. Looking down at a file on her desk, she quickly rifled through the contents before referring back to me.

"I believe she's in room 204 in the west wing." Immediately I sprinted off in a westerly direction. My room, from what I knew was located in the eastern wing, a floor higher than where Tayuya was being kept. Sprinting to the nearest stairwell I jumped down the stairs, Gaara following me closely behind.

Once on the second floor, I kept moving west, glancing at the rooms that I passed and recording their numbers to determine how close I was. Eventually I came to a secured area, two shinobi standing by the doorway. Refusing to give them the time to stop me, I charged through the doors, setting my sights on room 204 near the end of the hall. Running towards it, I peeked through the window of the room, my eyes resting on Tayuya.

I threw the door to the room open, shocking the two nurses inside the room. One was in the midst of drawing some of Tayuya's blood, whilst the other was checking the IV located next to Tayuya's bed.

At that moment Gaara came charging in, his face less than impressed with my antics. Behind him came the two shinobi guards from the entrance of the restricted area, their stances defensive, as if I were a feral animal that had just been released. Holding up a hand to calm the two guards, Gaara watched as I made my way over to Tayuya.

Her hair fell around her face in a curtain of scarlet, the red strands standing out against the paleness of her skin. Normally Tayuya had slightly tanned skin, a mixture of her genetics and the amount of time she spent outdoors. However, sickness had drained all of the colour from her face, arms and legs. The shade now matching that of my own skin. Reaching out, I rested my hand on hers. Her skin was cool to the touch, as if her blood was no longer pumping.

"Why is she cold?" I asked, looking at the nearby nurses.

"Her body temperature is normal–" The nurse replied.

"She's cold. Get her another blanket." I commanded. The nurse, clearly uncomfortable ran from the room. The other, having finished taking Tayuya's bloodwork, bowed her head at Gaara before exiting the room. I noticed that the two shinobi had also left the room, seemingly from Gaara's orders. Turning to look at him, I watched as he furrowed his brow.

"I know you're worried, but you can't speak to people like that. Everyone in this hospital is working tirelessly to ensure Tayuya's wellbeing." Gaara lectured, his tone demonstrating his disappointment.

"Well they're not doing enough." Looking around the room, I spotted Tayuya's clothing piled in a heap across the room. Her clothing had been switched over for more loose-fitting hospital clothing consisting of a t-shirt and soft pants. Walking over to Tayuya's belongings I began shuffling through them, noting that something was missing. "Where's her flute?" I asked.