Chapter Forty-Three: Bolt of a Thousand Swords.

Beth POV

"Kakuzu! Put me back together so I can end these fuckers!" Hidan's severed head shouted from across the way, anger radiating from his voice.

"It seems as though my partner and I have underestimated you." Kakuzu commented, his gaze resting upon my face, ignoring his partner's cries.

"People tend to do that." I replied, my voice as strong as my stance.

"Our back up should be here any minute." Kotetsu announced, his breathing quick and shallow, riddled with stress and exhaustion.

"Good, they can help us clean up." I answered, confidence dripping with each syllable. Shikamaru walked to my side, his shoulder brushing against my own as he inquired about Kakuzu.

"What's this guys' deal?" He asked, awaiting information that would allow him to formulate a plan.

"He's more of a zombie than an immortal being. He has these masks plastered on his back, all containing an individual heart. His jutsu allows those masks to manifest into separate beings all with an individual heart that we need to destroy. They all have separate hearts, and yet they are all his hearts. You need to take them all out. Each being also displays ninjutsu of a different nature. Fire, Wind, Water etcetera." When I finished my explanation, I watched as Kakuzu's expression changed, his eyes narrowing.

"I must relay my partner's request regarding how you know so much about me? Have Konohagakure's records become that detailed over recent years? Or did Orochimaru know more during his time in the Akatsuki than I gave him credit for?" Kakuzu's question was valid. It was a fear-inducing moment when someone knew everything about you. Especially your weaknesses.

My mind drifted back to Orochimaru. The moment he erupted with information regarding my illness in the Forest of Death. How it would affect not only me but my ability to protect others. He knew that due to such an illness, one deep puncture wound in the correct place was all it would take to end my life. Fortunately for me in that moment, I was worth more to him alive then dead.

"I'm afraid I can't answer that." I countered.

"Shame." Kakuzu replied, his voice neutral. Silence passed over us for a short moment, both Kakuzu and I analysing each other. The sounds of Shikamaru's quick breaths filled my ears, matching the pounding of my heart. Knowing how to defeat an opponent and implementing that information are two entirely different actions, with the latter being a dangerous gamble. Kakuzu was outnumbered, but even then, his jutsu would still prove difficult to defeat. I had no doubt that Team 7 would be the backup travelling from Konoha, and as much as I wished I had Kakashi sensei to help me in this battle, I knew I had to finish this before they got here. Lowering my gaze, I gripped tightly onto my sword, threateningly extending the blade out.

Kakuzu watched me carefully, as if amused by the gesture. "You going to kill me? Or just stand there and stare at me like a doll?" I called out. I knew that Kakuzu was prone to fits of rage. My strategy banked on him focusing that rage on me so that while the others took care of his separate hearts, I could distract him.

Unfortunately, Kakuzu was far more calculating than that. "You are clearly the strongest shinobi present, hence why you wish for me to focus my efforts on you. If I were to do that however, I would be a fool." With that I watched as Kakuzu's gaze shifted towards Karin. Within the count of a second, Kakuzu had removed his cloak, the masks on his back exposed as he cast his jutsu. 

"Shikamaru!" I yelled. Without hesitation, Shikamaru sent out arms of shadow, their elongated grasp charging towards Kakuzu with increasing speed. Running alongside them, Jugo and I charged for Kakuzu. Shikamaru's jutsu wouldn't last long, but if Kakuzu was caught, it meant that Jugo and I could take care of at least two of the hearts before he was free.