Chapter Forty-Four: Change.

Beth POV

"I'm thinking we should have a code word" Kouta proposed, his arms carrying my drained body through the underbrush of oak trees.

"What for?" I asked, my voice lacking any and all energy. Arching an eyebrow, Kouta looked at me, a smirk decorating his face. "Seriously? You want a code word for when one of us wants to have sex?"

"I think 'Pineapple' might be nice." Kouta suggested, ignoring my questions entirely.

"Kouta–"

"Not a fan? Alright how about we steer clear of fruit, its overdone anyway. How about an animal?"

"How about we don't have this con–" I attempted to interject.

"Something that describes my prowess as a lover. A lion, maybe." Kouta continued.

"Kouta, can we not have this conversation in front of a talking head?" I suggested, my eyes drifting to the severed head placed on my lap.

"You don't care about having sex in front of the severed head, but talking about a sex code word, that's too much?"

"What are you even tal–" I began.

"Beth." A familiar voice stated as we came towards a makeshift campsite hidden in the brush. Turning my head, my gaze rested on Sasuke. Moving my line of sight to his eyes I realised that he wasn't looking at me but at Kouta. A shiver ran down my spine as I recognised the awkward atmosphere between the two men.

Tapping Kouta on the shoulder, Kouta began lowering me down, placing me gently on the grass below. My body ached from the fight, but I chose to ignore it, focusing on the inevitable judgement that I was about to face.

"Beth!" Karin called, running over to meet us. Glancing at Kouta and Sasuke, she quickly chose to act oblivious to the scenario, her focus on me. "Here." Extending her arm out to me, I quickly bit onto her skin. Immediately a wash of relief swept through me. I could no longer feel the aches of my bruises or the throbbing in my head. Though, even Karin's medical ninjutsu couldn't heal every injury the fight with Kakuzu had caused. My left arm was still badly wounded, and regardless of the medical ninjutsu, my chakra was still dangerously low.

Regardless of the remaining pain I felt, I let go of Karin before attempting to stand. Nodding thanks to Karin, I placed Hidan's head beside me.

Finally breaking their testosterone filled staring match, Sasuke glanced at the head, frowning.

"Care to explain that?" He inquired.

"That would be Hidan. He's immortal." I explained.

"YOU BITCH! I WILL MURDER YOU!" Hidan yelled, his threats empty. Tearing a strip of fabric from my shirt, I tied the cloth around Hidan's mouth, silencing the sadist.

"I'm going to throw his head in a volcano." I continued, ignoring the interruption.

"It might be useful to question him before that happens." Sakura interjected.

"Don't know if that will result in anything, he mostly just threatens and swears." Kouta added.

"Can't hurt to try." Sakura replied. Gesturing towards the head, Sakura walked over and picked it up, before returning to Shikamaru and the others.

"After you're done, he goes into a volcano." I called out.

"Not many of those in the Leaf Village." Kakashi sensei stated, walking up behind us.

"Kakashi sens–" I began. Holding up a hand, Kakashi sensei silenced me. Curling the tips of his fingers, he gesturing for me to follow him as he began walking away from the others. We stopped a few metres into the forest, the tall trees masking our position. Keeping his back turned I took the opportunity to say my piece. "Kakashi sensei, I know you're disappointed that I left the Leaf Village to hunt the Akatsuki members on my own, but you know that the five Kage weren't getting anywhere. I needed to do something instead of just sitting there waiting for Tobi to come and collect me. I know I should have told you, but–"