Chapter Thirty-One: Talk to Me.

Hinata POV

I hesitated, staring at the door of the hospital room, my eyes glued to the thick white door. I wondered how she would react when she saw me. Not one of her friends had been granted access to her except Sakura, but even Sakura was limited in what she could speak to Beth about.

When I was asked to speak to Beth I wasn't sure what to say. I asked 'why me?' at first, my curiosity behind the request taking hold. I had been told that I was the only person who could be trusted to speak with Beth. The Hokage, along with Kakashi sensei, believed that I was passive enough not to give off a vibe of judgement, as well as familiar enough to illicit a response in Beth. I had to admit the pressure of the task caused my heart to race, especially since so many were relying on me to succeed.

I remembered the first time I had met Beth so vividly. She was so unique, an extraordinary personality that you couldn't easily forget. Her eccentric nature drew you in, convinced you to pursue a relationship with her. She had a knack for bringing joy to the most solemn of personalities. The instant she sat down beside me I felt at ease, her aura warm like sunlight. She was the glue that held so many people together in times of hardship. It was time I reminded her of that.

Gathering the courage I needed, I nodded to the two shinobi posted outside her door. Nodding back to me they unlocked the door and pulled it open. Taking a deep breath, I walked inside.

When I saw her, sitting quietly on the edge of the provided hospital bed, I almost started to cry. Beth had always been so beautiful. The kind of beautiful that was so natural that it caused you to think about what her parents looked like, how the melding of two individuals caused such a combination that was so physically perfect. Despite the scars, bandages and faint remaining bruising that covered her body, Beth was still radiant. However as I stared at her now, her body seemed slightly hollow, withered by stress. Her cheeks were sunken slightly and her bones were clearly visible under her pale skin, her beauty now harsh to the eyes.

"Beth, I hope it's okay that I'm here. The others asked me to come and keep you company for a while." With a small smile I walked over to Beth and placed a comforting hand over hers. Lifting it off I walked over to the far side of the room and picked up a light chair which I move closer to Beth.

The information I had been given about Beth was vague. I had been told that she was unresponsive to any and all who tried to communicate with her. I had also been told that she refused to sleep and the medical personnel were forced to administer sedatives just to get her to rest. The doctors however were hoping to avoid such measures as to stop Beths body from becoming reliant on such drugs in order to sleep.

"I thought, since you've been in here for three weeks or so, you'd be interested in what was happening." Waiting for a response, which didn't come, I continued. "Well, your companions have been set up in accommodation inside the village. Suigetsu is spending a lot of time organising to go after Kisame Hoshigaki, but your friends Jugo and Karin have been making sure he doesn't run off. Tayuya has been spending her time in the administration building with the Hokage. She's also been training on the outskirts of the village, expending built up frustration I gather. Your friend Kouta hasn't been out much and I'm not sure what he's been doing with his time. Gaara... I mean, the Kazekage, as well as Kankuro and Temari had to return to the Sand Village but I've been told that he's been communicating with the Hokage frequently, mostly asking about you." Still nothing. I knew I had to be patient when dealing with Beth. I wish I knew what she was thinking, what she was feeling, it would've given me more information as to how to approach speaking with her, how to make sure I didn't push her too far.

I paused and looked at the room they had been keeping her in. The white walls and floors of the hospital room unnervingly bare. There was one singular window which looked out to the side of another building. The only lively aspect of the otherwise cold room being a picture hung across from the bed, a field of flowers in a green plain of grass, although supposedly meant to bring happiness, I guessed that the picture didn't bring any joy to Beth.