Chapter 3 - Candace

I rush to my car from Jaxson's building, my mind whirling.

What the hell just happened?

One minute, I'm riding an elevator up to my interviewer, and the next, Jaxson is offering me a ridiculous amount of money for a simple job.

Actually, I never did get specifics of what I'll be doing, so maybe I'll end up earning every penny.

I immediately have to fight off images of ways I wouldn't mind earning it, and I'm appalled my mind keeps going there—with Jaxson between my legs, his stiff cock buried deep inside me as he thrusts in and out of my grateful wet slit.

It certainly doesn't help that I've seen his dick almost bust out of his pants while my slick, warm opening eagerly clamored to take it in.

I'm seriously messed up—far beyond what my ex-husband did to us. But because of the mess Charles left, there I was, grateful for the opportunity to interview for a job I'm way overqualified for, so desperate that I pretty much took what my other ex offered without even finding out for sure what he has planned for me, even after noticing he still holds a grudge.

Christ, what was I thinking, accepting the job blind?

I couldn't actually think, that was the problem—not with my first love staring at me with an otherwise calm face, his stormy blue eyes giving him away.

And I certainly couldn't think properly once he pulled me into his muscular arms, our warm bodies close.

My lizard brain completely took over once the length and hardness of his erection pressed against me.

And that searing kiss? I would have agreed to anything anyone asked in that moment and its immediate aftermath. The gentleness yet roughness of it surprised and melted me. The surge of emotion, the raging desire—I was a desperate, panting mess once Jaxson was done with me, unable to mask the fact that I was practically drooling for more, wishing more than anything he'd satisfy my throbbing core by pounding me to climax, his thick cock sliding in and out of my neglected, needy entrance until we're both sated and euphoric.

But even if I had been able to think, my mind safely out of the gutter, I'm pretty sure I would have come to the same conclusion: just take the damned job.

It's not like I'm fifteen or eighteen or even twenty-four anymore—I've had life experiences that made it easier to put my ego and judgment aside, to see things from other perspectives. Even before I fell from it, I stopped looking down from my privileged perch and realized honest work is honest work; everyone who does it deserves respect.

During the course of my charity stints, I met hard-working people, people who did everything they could to have a 'normal' life, working too many hours for too little pay.

Considering everything that went down in my household and my current miserable state, who am I to turn my nose up at any job? Especially one like this, where I get to keep all my clothes on and not have to rely on tips?

I'm lucky, actually; if this hadn't been Jaxson's company, I might not have gotten hired and I'd still be worrying if I'd ever feel stable enough to put together a plan and move from my current location—a place I've never even been able to call 'home.'

Home is a word bathed in sunlight—a place that represents warmth, comfort, stability. It's a safe place, one that's usually occupied by people who love me and look out for me.

Home was taken for granted the first twenty-six years of my life, and the places I've lived in since Charles and I lost our mansion over a year ago are not homes.