I Always Liked You

(Get ready for the angst queen to reappear #mopper fans, because I am about to hit you like a truck of emotions with this one shot. SPAM WITH COMMENTS PLEASE!)

El skipped up to the cabin with a smile, eager to see her boyfriend of six years. Mike had told her that he had been waiting there for her while she finished off her test, studying at the local community college with Max for a career in childcare. As soon as she had spent time with the children part time, she had known instantly that it was something that she wanted to do for the rest of her life as well as being a mother. Her heart lit up with happiness every single time that Mike reminded her of how proud he was, of how she was so great at what she did without even having to try. 

As she made it up the cabin steps, Mike stormed out of the cabin and past her quickly. His face looked like thunder and his fists were clenched, tears threatening to spill from his dark eyes. He moved quickly, barely sparing El a second glance as her eyes widened with worry. She panicked, trying to grab onto his arms but he shoved her off instantly, hurdling down the cabin steps with long angry strides. 

"Mike!" El yelled desperately, her hand coming up to rest over her aching heart. 

She rushed inside, looking around for what would be the cause of his anger until she saw Hopper lighting up a cigarette angrily. She rushed up to him with pleading eyes, unable to string her words together due to how worried she was. 

"D-Did you see Mike? He r-rushed out of....of here and looked upset. I don't know what I can...what to do.." she rushed out hurriedly, searching his eyes. 

Hopper snorted. "Oh, I saw him alright."

Her eyes hardened protectively as she backed away, arms over her chest. She looked at him for a long moment before her words came out harshly. "What did you say to him?"

"I really don't want to talk about this" he muttered angrily, stumping out a cigarette before trying to leave the cabin. He was stopped by an unnatural force, his head snapping to his daughter as she glared at him, a small trail of blood down her nose. "Grow up, let me leave. It is none of your goddamn business."

"It isn't my business?" she retorted angrily. "So if you make my boyfriend so angry that he can barely look at me, I don't have a right to know why? Tell me what the hell you did to him right now, I'm not letting you go. You're the one who is being childish."

"Go talk to him yourself if you care that much" Hopper glared right back at her, trying to force the door open as she forced it to stay shut. 

She snapped, her force on the door so powerful that the room started to spin. "You are going to tell me right now. The reason he won't talk to me is because you have clearly said something to upset him. You two have just started to get along, I won't take your bullshit excuses anymore. Mike has done nothing wrong!"

"Don't talk to me like that" Hopper warned. 

El clenched her fists, stepping closer as tears filled her eyes. "What is your problem? You promised me that you would try. You adopted me and told me you would make an effort to be a real D-Dad...the least you can do is tell me what you did to the person that I love."

Hopper looked down guiltily for a few moments, nothing but hateful silence filling the air. El glared at him from across the room, raising an eyebrow to give him a warning. She felt sick with worry, wondering if her supposed father had driven the man she loved away for good. She was no longer the innocent child that she used to be, and as a nineteen year old woman, she was sick of him always trying to ruin every bit of happiness just like when she was in the lab. 

Hopper's voice was weak. "He asked me for my blessing."

El's eyes overflowed with tears as she recalled the conversation that she had with Mike years ago as they lay down in bed together. Mike had promised that one day they would spend the rest of their lives together, as soon as Hopper gave him permission to propose he wouldn't wait a second longer. They talked about their wedding, about what vows they would say to each other and how many children they had wanted. Although they were only fourteen at the time and pretending like it was all a game, they both meant every single word.